hi

hi

Sunday, September 9, 2007

fabuless trill


You know the barber scene in Police Academy? Where Copeland and Blankes sit down and get a buzz cut because they thought that is what they were supposed to get? And Martin comes in and requests a little off the sides (or off the top, I forget) in front of them, making them aghast at the fact they just had their manes shaved off for no reason.
Before I left to get my hair cut, I ran into Mollie and another girl who had their hair done by children yesterday. Mollie's hair was short, really really short. Almost unstyleable short. But it looked good on her, and she said something about requesting it that way. The other girl had a sort of Kelis-esque side half-hawk with a line design cut into it. Sean, Mike, and David were tagging along to see the possibility of my hair being badly ravaged by a 10-year-old. I arrived early and saw some of the work being done. One guy looked like he had a word shaved in the back of his head, it didn't really work but it was fun and a conversation starter at the least. Some of the hair cuts were not so good, sort of shaky but as I just said all would be good conversation starters. And if the worst happened to me I would just shave my head, something I've wanted to try out anyway. I got into my chair a little earlier than 1:00 and it began! I was asked what I wanted. I had the choice to go crazy or to be sensible and not push it. I just asked for bangs and the back to be trimmed up a bit.

It went well! It went really well, my cut seems perfect actually. The bangs are jagged, which I wanted and the back is nice and neat.

Afterwards we went to Larry Bamburg's exhibit on Northrup & 18th. A beautiful piece, little bits of paper and feathers were suspended and spinning slowly. Very serene to look at. We had talked about seeing it and the timing was right so my little quartet from floor three went so see Paprika. Actually it made me a little more confused the second time (such as the physical manifestation of Paprika in the beginning) but I enjoyed it immensely. And Mike and David, who aren't really familiar with Japanese cinema, let alone animation, seemed to enjoy it as well. Might have even blown David's mind a little as he was sort of "woah" when we got out of the theatre.

We were starving so we went for Thai food after that. Medium priced but extremely tasty. David and Sean got into a debate about should art be dumbed down for the masses. I made a point about how many people have prints of fine art in their home versus how many people have ceramic gew-gaws, and how really stupid movies do well at the box office even though everyone should know they are stupid. Sort of a "if you don't care you aren't aware" type of thing I guess. Mike and I just sort of listened as they fired back and forth, a very heated debate. One of many I will hear and be a part of in the coming years.

We, plus many others, are going to the William Kentridge show tonight. Bound to be spectacular.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't get too radical. It was good for the stylists to get some experience dealing with people and trying a skill. It's hard to believe it is the same Trill that had such difficulty trying something new.

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your life! I am so glad it is working out so well down there in Portland-town. Love ya, kid...