hi

hi

Thursday, September 13, 2007

I can draw trees!!

Had to go to Reed College to see a lecture for Drawing Class. Had to get there at 11am, after my 8:00-10:45 class. I don't know where Arvie got the idea that we could make it to Reed in 15 minutes, which is in South East Portland (PNCA is North West, you have to cross Burnside and the Willamette). I hitched a car ride with Hayden and his tall friend (Sam?). We spent 15 minutes walking 12 blocks to his car, and then about 25-35 minutes driving to get to Reed and another 10 minutes finding parking and going "aww hell no one remembers where the lecture is?" It all added up to us showing up right as the few classmates that made it were leaving. Lots of people came late/got lost so we didn't feel to bad. Though a lot of energy wasted only to show up and then be told to go back and meet in class at 1:30 after lunch. Hitched a ride back with Michael (who unlike the people who I rode with, he doesn't smoke in his car with a window minimally put down).

We got back just in time for lunch so I went to another TBA lecture. This time by some people from a blog competition, Hooliganship, Slappe(PNCA professor) and Andrew Dickson. A lively discussion about the Internet and blogging and doing collaborative art. I didn't take notes so I have forgotten most of what they said (I was to busy eating my egg salad sandwich).

Returned to drawing class and for the rest of it we were in the park on Part Street drawing trees. I was very pleased with my tree drawing, I want to mail it to my old art teacher with a note saying "look! I can draw trees, OKAY!!" The work that I have been doing, a lot of it is just producing work to show that this is where I'm at and that I can do this. And I am finding that I can do it, and that is great. I'm excited for when I get to the point of being able to use these concepts and apply them to my work for me.

In Digital Tools I drew over a photo of my choosing (Ibanez) with lines and whatnot. I'm starting to really like Illustrator, gives a good look. Can't get a screenshot of either of my projects, don't think I can open them without the program.

Picked up my film I had developed earlier and rode off home. When I got home I was reminded I need to find and buy my Art History text. Powell's one 11th edition copy was gone so I had to go to PSU and drop $95 on a used copy. I have till the fourth to return it, so I'm going to try and order a cheaper version and then return this one. That's only if the text wouldn't be used for the next Art History (Gothic onwards) class, if I use it all the way through I am keeping it.

Today was cold, so biking was refreshing, there was also a whisper of rain that felt really good at the end of my bike trips.

Met up with Mel to go see Andrew Dickson's Sell Out at Wieden + Kennedy. A really excellent lecture on how to sell out (there are 27 steps) and how it isn't so bad. I'm not to concerned with selling out and all the people I walked and talked with after (Phil and Mike were also at the lecture) also didn't despair about it. One of the steps was to say you are not going to sell out. I am at about the step concerning college. I'm on the right track. Whoo!!

Andrew Dickson "sold out" when he was employed by Wieden + Kennedy. The Time Based Arts Festival is put on by PICA. PICA is located in/funded by/a part of Wieden + Kennedy. Wieden + Kennedy is one of the world's largest ad agencies, they did Nike's, "Just Do It." Andrew Dickson's lecture on selling out was a part of TBA. So in short: Wieden + Kennedy funds PICA who puts on the TBA Festival who had Andrew Dickson as part of it, giving his lecture in an auditorium located in a building of the company he sold out to, who must have a distinct knowledge that he believes that working for them is selling out.

Nathan and Rubie visit tomorrow, yay! Also sleeping in.

No comments: