hi

hi

Monday, September 10, 2007

speech is BAD


Can anyone tell me what is wrong with that picture?

We were reading a paper in Time Arts about performance art, the paper came from a grad school book for people getting a masters in performance art (why would they need that?), anywhoo the paper went on and on about how speaking is bad and how every time you hear speech in a play/movie/TV/whatever it is all dumbed down and fakey or whatever. And how performance art is the only thing trying to reflect reality. Everything else is fake. And how a sentence in performance art must be treated as an object, like it has to be on equal par with the chair in your piece. chair = sentence. It was hard to follow. Earlier Diane had found a sticky note on the floor that said "this guy is a jerk" and we were wondering who it was talking about. I think it was the writer of this paper (actually it didn't say jerk but if Liam reads this I don't want to teach him bad words).

Lindsay's joke she got from her painting teacher:
How many performance artists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
I don't know, I left early too.

Rode my bike to school today. Nabbed a lock-your-bike-to-this pretty easily, and was only mildly sweaty as I went to my first class.

My Art History class left early, as we couldn't have done any reading so a lecture wouldn't have been so good for us without a reading warm up. The Silverdale-girl and Mallory are in my class, as well as a wide variety of other people from varying levels of education. I like being a transfer student, more variety in your classmates. We wrote a little essay and were allowed to go when we were done. We had a half-an-hour so Silvie-gal and I walked to Powell's to see if they had the text. They had it, but it was 11th edition, the complete book (not paperback or split into the two segments) and hardcover. Oh and $65. Going to shop around a little. I was peckish so I picked up a scone.

We got back with plenty of time to spare before our next classes. 2D design was uneventful, a lecture about color and how crazy it is. Sat about during lunch and chatted with Tabitha and Rainbow.

We had a special speaker talk to us about color after lunch. He was Spanish and had great hair and a lovely accent. Every now and then he would pause and say "is that a word?" All this color stuff, sort of intense. How you can combine four blocks of color and get three colors, or three blocks and get four. We will get into learning how to manipulate colors like that on Wednesday. I am part excited, part terrified. Need to get those color aid cards and burnable discs. All this stuff I have to buy, starting to feel like I don't need any of the stuff I brought with me.

My triptych for Time Arts seemed to go over well. Most of the class was consumed by the "what is performance art?" discussion. I still don't get how performance art isn't supposed to be seen as a mixed medium.

IT HAS ONLY BEEN A WEEK!! AHHH!!

And Nathan and Rubie are visiting Friday-Monday. That will be cool, need to take note of all the places I want him to pay for me to eat at.

No comments: