hi

hi

Saturday, September 8, 2007

there and back again

Tested out how long it takes to get to PNCA on bike when going down 12th. An amazing 12 minutes. I should allow 15 at the minimum, and set to leave at about 25 till. Really easy, all downhill. A little tricky at times when a strong wind was pushing at me, but I stayed upright. Going back on 13th took about 16 minutes, which makes sense as it is uphill. The wind on my back was only there when I was stopped, so I didn't have its aid. The hill isn't so bad, just all the other times when I am going against it I have always been tired.

Today had a slow start as I didn't get much sleep due to the balcony party going on till 2am.

All I had planned for today was to go see a movie, and Sean texted me indicating he had the same idea. Portland, being a cool hip city, has lots of cool hip theatres. Some of them are 21+ after a certain period of the day, blocking me from seeing the indie movies they flaunt at me with posters tacked to the side. One movie I have wanted to see for some time, but was never available to me for seeing, turned up at one of these 21+ theatres; the Living Room Theatre. It was only showing twice a day, at 6:20 and 2:10, Friday-Thursday. At 3:30 the theatre/lounge/cafe turns over to 21+. Here was my chance! I could see this movie today or tomorrow, without fail or scheduling conflicts! Hurrah! I tried to round up some more people to go with us but David, Mike and Bryan were out, James had beach plans, and the boys in 111 weren't up for it. So it was just the two of us.

At a little after 1:00, Sean and I started walking towards the theatre to go see Paprika. Loved it. Absolutely fantastic movie. The animation seemed near flawless, the imagination that went into the concepts, yow! I wish more movies like this were spread across the country in every Regal cinema, instead of tucked away in limited 14 showing releases. I thought A Scanner Darkly was a good step in the right direction of using animation to present concepts otherwise unattainable in other mediums. Paprika is a trip, and one I'd like to take again tomorrow if I can round up more people. Sandwich a second viewing in between my maybe haircut and the William Kentridge show. Ohhhh I want to see it again, can't wait for DVD. Could have a Satoshi Kon night; Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika, movies that transcend their genre.

Walking back we stopped by the Cheese Steak Sandwich guy for lunch, and ate our tasty sandwiches as we meandered home. A nice, easy going day. There are PICA/TBA events going on tonight, I just can't be bothered to pay $20 and see them.

Now to do my homework. Triptych first or contour drawing? Reading later on.

No comments: