hi

hi

Thursday, April 19, 2012

follow your feet


I texted Nathan to send me sandwich shop suggestions in Monterey, and he obliged with three different suggestions. I went with London Bridge Pub. Interesting these little decisions that get made, who knows how they'll effect the rest of our lives? Not saying anything major went down at the Pub, just that we don't know what is major until later. Maybe I should have picked a different sandwich place? Though I did quite enjoy my fish & chips, and my couple pints of Guiness. The bartender, Matt, was cute and chatty. This old dude Gary was interesting as well. I filled a couple pages in my sketchbook with drawings. It is nice to just...relax. Today was all about relaxing, but more importantly going somewhere new and relaxing there. And going to a BEACH and relaxing.

After breakfast, and replying to the rejection emails with a nice "thank you for considering me", I planned out a rough itinerary for the day. Found an address to plug into the GPS for Santa Cruz (the Lighthouse Field State Park). From there I would go to Monterey, and if I had time: Carmel. I ate some more breakfast, which I guess could be, by 1pm, considered lunch. Theeen I headed out.

It was a beautiful day for a drive. Warm, sunny, and just lovely. The roads were winding, but the Prius handled them with gusto. Santa Cruz is farther from Redwood City than I initially thought. Still, a reasonable distance for a day trip.

Parked at Lighthouse Field State Park, in Santa Cruz. I clambered down to the beach and wiggled my toes in the sand and water, the popped a squat on a rock and got to drawing. There were some young surfers, and some old ones, and they were all quite wonderful! I drew the beach, and I doodled the surfers wiping out, and I drew the surfers paddling, and I drew more of the beach, and all was wonderful. I walked back up the bank, and wandered down the beach a bit. Sat on a small cliff top and drew the surfers from another point of view. Then I found my way down to the beach, and walked in the surf down a ways. There were lots of cute doggies frolicking. I caught some sun, but don't feel burnt. It was a hot day, but not melting.

I texted Nate for sandwich place recommendations in Monterery, and once I got some suggestions, I put one into the GPS and off I went! Hit some traffic getting out of Santa Cruz, but it opened up. I paid for parking on Fishermen's Wharf in Monterey, and went to the pub on the waterfront. I sat at the bar, with my back to the water, and ordered some fish & chips. I thought about going outside, but I struck up some conversations, and it was nice to talk to people, so I stayed where I was. Talked Monterey and the area and art and sketching and all sorts of things. Twas nice!

I left when the sun was mostly down, and enjoyed the remnants of the orange sky from a view on the beach. Standing in the surf is such a nice experience. I really quite enjoy the atmosphere of Monterey and Santa Cruz. I think I'll look for jobs in that area, moreso than the Bay Area. I like it a bit quiet, I reckon.

It was a nice drive back, if a bit lengthy. Nathan and I watched some Adventure Time and ate Choco Taco. Totally addicted to those ice cream treats. Num nums.

I liked getting out. This weekend, I'll be going to San Francisco and hanging with Carmen and Josh. Fun!

No comments: