hi

hi

Saturday, March 5, 2011

oatmeal!

AHHHH just spent the night having a beer with Matthew "The Oatmeal" Inman. Eee that was so cool. But I'll start at the start.

Got up at around 11. Showered. Got dressed. Karen picked me up at about 11:50 and we went to the magic land of Arvey Paper to pick up my paper! It was such a little box, totally inconspicuous. And to think that all of that will become my thesis. All though only about half of it truly will. The rest will be scrap paper for projects and stuff. And also for other prints. It is good to have quality paper on hand. All though now I'm pretty short on cash. More so thanks to the wonderful hospital visit. BUT my eye is now in no pain whatsover and it is healing. There are still the sty bumps, but they are diminishing. Just gotta keep with the drops and all that. But the swelling is now almost entirely not noticeable.

I didn't make myself a single meal. Ate out entirely. Crap. After the paper and dropping it off, Karen and I grabbed lunch at Yur's. I just wanted a grilled cheese and a soda. Talk to Craig a bit, who was working. Then I went home. Did nothing. Went to school for yoga. It was a nice yoga. Though the leg lunges I'm not so fond of. Returned to the studio. For about two hours I listened to Feast for Crows and wrote up my guide to screen printing. Just tips and tricks. I'm teaching a small group of high schoolers tomorrow how to print, so I wanted to give them a little guide to take with them as a reminder of all the things. If you are out of practice, some things are easy to forget.

Then at 7ish I rode my bike to Powell's to see the book talk and signing that was happening there tonight. Matthew Inman does this website called The Oatmeal, and it is pretty funny stuff. And he made a book, so there was a signing and talk and stuff. Karen came as well, and there were a lot of nerdy looking types in the audience. But the space for talks was pretty full. When he came out, he stood right in front of me as he was waiting for his introduction. I did a quick sketch. He talked for about thirty minutes. Had some good laughs. It was a bit of a wait in the line to get the book signed, but Karen and I had a good conversation about topics. I actually got the book signed to Karen and I, I don't know why. We talked in line about asking him out to a beer but we chickened out. We then wandered in Powell's talking about how we chickened out. Then we went back up the the Pearl Room (where the talk had taken place) and got in the back of the line again. When we came up the second time (as the last people) we (by which I mean Karen) asked if he wouldn't mind having a beer with us at Deschutes. He said yes, gave us his card and said he'd meet us there because he had to do some stuff. AWESOME!! Yeah! We went to Deschutes and got a table and had a beer and chatted and waited. How cool is it that you go to a book signing and then ask the signer out for a drink and then he comes out for a drink!? Anyway, he came and we chatted for a bit. Then went to Low Brow Lounge to get some food. It was a good long hangout. Talked about this and that. About book tours and comics and fancy Japanese toilets. We parted ways at a little after midnight.

AHHH! After a hundreds strong book signing, he went out with US and had a beer. SO FREAKING COOL. And now I have a signed book. And now I should stop spending money on stuff. Going to conserve. Sandwich time. I think I have peanut butter stuffed away somewhere.

Todays Portrait Is: Dean Norris.

No comments: