hi

hi

Sunday, January 30, 2011

questions

One thing I am pretty stumped on when it comes to thesis are the sheer amount of questions to consider. I was a little unprepared for this. So for the sake of any non thesis person reading this, or for my family who wonders what I mean when I write "well I sat around and thought a lot", here is an insight into the questions that thesis brings:

general questions:

-what is the work that you want your work to do in the world?
-how will your work do that work?
-what are the questions that you are asking of the work, the research, and the writing?
-how would you describe your area of inquiry and how you are carving it out?
-what is at stake in how you are arranging, thinking about, disturbing and/or aligning your position with the research that you have done thus far?
-how has history, the art world, and/or art history framed these issues that are before you?
-how will your unique framing of these issues contribute to the discourse of art, art history, media studies, etc?
-what agency do you attribute to your role as maker? to your work? to the role of the viewer, the spectator, the visitor or the public, (or publics)?
-how are you thinking about the idea of where meaning is made? does it reside in the object that is made? the makers intention? with the viewer or public (or publics)?
-as I think about locating my practice as an artist, this is how I might situated my work relative to the work of others (historically and in the present):
-as I locate my own writing (the function, form, and style of the thesis paper), I would like to locate that writing relative to the following types and/or examples of writing:
-as I think about career choices I would like to locate my practice, and the development of my career, in the following way(s):

Yikes, right? I have some thesis specific questions too, but those are more personal conversations between Martin and I.

No comments: