hi

hi

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

snuff

Well, here I am writing another entry because the net is down. It was going so well!

Barry didn’t bring in any chocolate filled buns, so I ate the croissant. He talked about Romeo and that line about how he was without his “Ro” that is to say his roe or his eggs or his fertility. Meo was a word for a sigh or something. Being in love and all that. In the middle section we watched a video about Coney Island and its history. The old rides were so much more dangerous, but looked oodles more fun. And the sheer amount of power to run all the lights! Yow. Then they had the clip of Topsy the elephant being electrocuted because she killed some people. It was a brutal elephant snuff video. Rachel turned her head away during it. We got out first writing response. And that was that.

Diana missed that class but she showed up for History of Printmaking. I tooted my train flute and wished her happy birthday and gave her a card laced with glitter. Heheh. The first hour and a half of class was occupied with looking at a printmaking book and covering the history. Baudelaire and all that. There was an engraving of Japanese girls being ferried on a boat being towed by human swimmers. The mid 1800’s writing that went with the engravings was priceless.

Lunch was lean cuisine and an energy drink. When I was microwaving my meal, this lady named Miss Mona (her name was tattooed on her knuckles) and I talked. When I pulled out my food, she said, “girl you need to learn how to cook!” I was a little taken aback by the comment but it’s true.

Looked at books in the library and finished my meal. Checked out a Helen van Meene book. Talked to Terry and BT a little bit. BT is about to make his 100th sale of his homemade moustache wax.

The second half of History of Printmaking was held in the museum. Technically classes were not allowed to meet without prior mention, so we decided to sneak in and have a, “oh my, what is everyone else doing here?” moment instead. It worked! The print exhibit, which is the main reason to check out the museum, was lovely. They had their Durer’s out, some Goya, Jasper Johns, R.B. Kitaj, Kathe Kollwitz, Lichtenstein, Oldenburg, Piranesi, Rauschenberg, Max Beckmann, Daumier, Redon, Warhol, Toulouse-Lautrec, and Mucha to name a few. A really beautiful collection though some of the layout I felt was a bit weird. A lot of inspiration. One print had something about, “think of me as Rembrant, a little light and filled with darkness.” The Escher exhibit was down. It was a fun class. If we had a question, he would answer it. Told us a great story about Gordon Gilkey. He should be the patron saint of printmaking. Saved a lot of artists during the war (like Max Beckmann).

No Internet. Katie and I decided to take our mind off frustrations and go grab a 3$ burger from the Leaky Roof. Their happy hour is sweet, though I just had a root beer. The burger was delicious and filling. Liz came over a little bit later and we walked to the Goose Hollow Inn. They shared a pitcher and I had some hard cider. We gabbed as girls do and listened to the old men talking. The obvious regulars and the zany stuff they say. While Liz and Katie hung out, I worked on my Illustration homework. Tomorrow I will decided between Daberlack and Spitroast. Have reference pictures and sketches but I still don’t know. If I do Daberlack, it would be silk screened.

11:50pm update: the Internet is back! I got my sketches with some early color and I feel good about tomorrow. Whee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is some additional history about that beast Thomas Alva Edison volunteering to use his direct current electricity to electrocute Topsy as a promotion. Nicola Tesla had the better, safer alternating current. ~lp