hi

hi

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

ramachandran bang bang

Monotype! We had a demo that further confirmed how to paint with the inks and stuff. After than we took another lengthy walk since the weather was good. Erin wanted to show us a dead bird that she was curious about printing. After that we walked up to 22nd and Raleigh to check out this framing shop that the print tech Chris works at. The school is on 13th and Johnson and all the street names are alphabetical. So yeah, we walked far. At 12:15 we broke for lunch. There was a fish and chips man next to the framing place so I indulged myself. The place was called the Frying Scotsman and was a little camper turned cookery. I ordered the cod and chips. The chef was indeed from Scotland. I neglected to ask where he was from.

It took the entire, 35 minute walk back to PNCA to finish my lunch. Well, it wasn't a big portion, it just takes a lot to walk and eat at the same time. It was scrumptious. It's hard to find fish and chips outside of a bar in Portland. I'll have to pilgrimage by bike and visit him again.

Sat with Katie for the rest of lunch.

The rest of the studio time was occupied by doing at least one reductive and one additive print. Reductive is rolling a Plexiglas plate up with ink and using a cloth and mineral spirits to pull the highlights out. Additive is just using the ink and mineral spirits to paint with. My reductive was a portrait of a lady in a hat and a collar with a thick black cloak. I applied the black a little too think and it oozed out a little but it ended up okay. Then I did an additive portrait of myself in a yoga pose. I wasn't so thrilled by it but I did enjoy some of the textures. Finally I did another, smaller additive self portrait. It got great reviews by Tom and he showed it off to everyone deliberately. Go me! Darya did a beautiful and large Bjork portrait. It ended up fabulous but she wasn't so thrilled. The bird did get printed. The claws were cool but it seemed a lot of fuss just to print roadkill. I cleaned the ink station and scooted out of the school right at time.

Katie said she was going to the V.S. Ramachandran lecture at Lewis & Clark college and I was welcome to join her. It was a hurried drive over to the campus. It took a while to find the correct parking spot and there was a great deal of hurried walking to get there not too late. The place where the talk was held wasn't closed to late people, so that was awesome. We got a spot on the floor. Ramachandran is a neuroscientist. He talked about synesthesia, phantom limbs, and how people who want limbs willingly amputated always feel better after they get it removed in Mexico (because US doctors won't perform elective limb removal). It was fascinating and even though it wasn't a subject I was at all familiar with, he still explained everything in a very accessible way. Katie got her book signed after. She was thrilled. A lot of his studies have inspired her work.

Got back late. Ate the bagel I neglected at lunch time. Fun classes tomorrow!

No comments: