hi

hi

Thursday, September 24, 2009

first day with no fob

Critique only took up the first chunk of class. I managed to haul my bike up the stairs and tuck it in the computer room for the day. Won't be fun to do this, but I'll manage. Gotta find that spare key.

Danny's was rendered so vividly. Solid colors and great detail. Kristen executed her fair in the hair with wonderful detail that didn't over power. Amanda's Shorty didn't quite convey hip hop. Chase's hens teeth had a great dialogue with the beak nosed woman in the picture, though the back ground was pretty Zoolander green. Madeline's Cockney slang had a wonderful rhythm in the chairs and stairs. Samala's was nice, if a bit small. My main critique was that I need to represent what makes me so unique. Coloring, poses, and all that was fine. Just need to find what makes a piece "me".

I met Bekka for lunch and we discussed the show we want to do. We will be creating 8 characters. We will each be drawing four and then when we finalize the drawings, we will switch and draw the other's characters. It's about showing our influence on each other and the main question will be who drew what character first? What separates our approaches. It will be colorful as well. Hurray for Bekka Hannesdottir! And Madeline. She's also cool. TV buddy unite!

After lunch, Martin French handed us some stacks of photocopies of portraits of artists. I misunderstood his directions a little bit and had trouble until I saw what other people were doing. Basically we were to take a single reference and create sketches, which would become the base for three 11x17 portraits of the same person. I drew Anita Loos and struggled. Then I drew Warhol and it turned out successful.

Our next three week assignment is: Ancient Aesthetic. The first phase is rough thumbnails. Pick two indigenous cultures and research them a little come up with 3 varied thumbnails for each. Gypsies, Mayans, what have you. I pulled out my anthropology text books and started browsing.

Lagged around and got everything sorted. Kristen helped me move my bike down the stairs. Up is easy, I don't like how it bounces going down.

Then I relaxed. Ate some cheese puffs. Ate some pasta. Watched some TV on the Internet. Flashforward is the show I'm most excited about. Everyone in the world blacks out for 2 minutes 14 seconds, and everyone sees 6 months into their future during that time. It's got a good cast that has a few people that were on Lost. Scifi, mystery, action. My kind of show.

Tomorrow plans: go to Powell's and buy Dame Darcy's Gasoline. Eat a tuna fish sandwich (my last jar from Tuna Claus). Look through Anthropology texts. Edit my memoir a little, just to get the easy stuff out of the way. Read. Sleep in. Watch Project Runway. Survey what is due next week.

Mom: what can you tell me about Gypsies?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gypsies are sometimes called "travellers" because they are a nomadic culture. They are a matriarchy, in a way, with some women being powerful in old age. They value gold and horses and wild violin music. They have roots in Romania, and perhaps India. They have gifts as fortune tellers through palm reading. I have that book about gypsies, if you want to read it.~lp