hi

hi

Thursday, August 20, 2009

evil fabio: drabio!

Had a low key morning. I was planning to waste another day and say my farewells to Karen later on when Katie walked in and invited me to come with her and Liz to Sauvie's Island. Swimming! It was said to get to 100 today. Perfect weather for a dip.

Sauvie's Island has a lot of U-Pic-It farms. And farms in general. Really beautiful drive in Liz's Jeep. There are two beach options on Sauvie's Island: clothing required and clothing optional. We went to the latter. It wasn't crowded and there were no kids. I kept a swimsuit on, but it was a comfortable beach to be on. No worries about keeping up appearances and all that. It was nice, aside from a few creepers.

Well, it was just one creeper: Drabio. A tall, muscled man. Very tan with dark wavy shoulder length hair and a bright white necklace that really stood out. He just wandered up and down the beach. He never got in deeper than his knees and just splashed the water on himself to keep cool. We call him Drabio because he was this dark, evil version of Fabio. Drab is not Fab. Every time he was near we quickly turned the other way and just waited till we felt it was safe to look around. Eye contact could have brought a horrid encounter.

Everyone else had good humor. Lots of jolly happy folk. And a few hippies.

Later in the day we heard the telltale chime of the ice cream truck. Katie said it was just a ringtone. But the sound got closer and to my utter joy it was an ice cream boat! These people were just putting along and stopping every so often and selling ice cream out of a few coolers. When they came near, I dashed through the water and towards land to get a few dollars. I gobbled up a drumstick and bought Katie a little treat as well. Just perfect! Ice cream vendors must have it made.

We went in and then went out and sat in the sun. Then went in and came back out. We continued this cycle for four hours. We splashed, we swam, we threw seaweed at each other. Katie and I swam out very far and some dude in a boat told us to go back in because the current got strong. I wanted to be snarky because I felt like he was treating me like a city girl. But I held the snark at bay.

It was a really nice day. Full of new experience. I had never ridden in a Jeep before!

Back I went. Karen called to see if I wanted to hang out. I said sure. She said she wanted to meet for pizza. Then she called again and said she would meet later. Then she called and said she couldn't get the pizza. Then she texted and asked if I wanted to help her move her stuff to her car. So that's when I saw her. Got a few more posters. Took her stuff down. Said our goodbyes and woosh, off she went into the dusk.

Speaking of dusk, oh man do I like True Blood! Almost caught up. I find myself liking the secondary and tertiary characters as much, or even more, than the primary ones.

No comments: