hi

hi

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm a sucker for anything Tomer

Today I took a walk.

I'm avoiding fixing my bike tire. Really need to get it sorted out as school will be starting soon and like hell am I walking.

Not a long walk. And not an irregular walk. Just to Powell's and no farther North. I couldn't find a copy of Dead Until Dark that didn't have a hideous TV cover. I picked up a book about words from other cultures and their specific meanings. Such as the Czech word litost which is defined as the state of torment created by the sudden realization of one's own misery. It was half off. In the new books section I spied a cover that I suspected was illustrated by Tomer Hanuka, who is one of my favorite contemporary illustrators. And it was done by him. The book had a cool description so I decided to take a change on a first novel (the book is Alive in Necropolis by Doug Dorst by the way, it's about a cop and some ghosts and such).

Books stuffed in bag, I went to Starbucks and got a venti iced tea lemonade. I sat under a window and read Time Traveller's Wife for an hour and a half. I am determined to finish that book so that I can see the movie, good or not. I don't have far to go now. It's been a good read thus far though sometimes the characters are rather painfully cultured. I moved from Starbucks to the Park Blocks and read some more.

An obese lady in a motorized cart scooted by me and stopped and asked for a dollar. I said no. She asked again saying that a dollar was not much and I said no again. As a rule I only give money to the Street Roots people. Specifically the guy outside Safeway on 13th and Lovejoy. His dog, Balthazar, is really sweet and he (the man, not the dog) always points out an article of interest. Anyway, the lady went on her way. A dog belonging to the third person she asked for money barked and scratched her. The young woman who owned the dog yelled and hit it and tied it tighter behind her. She gave the woman some tissues for her leg, which was bleeding. The woman didn't give a cry of pain so I don't think it was too serious. The young woman continued to whack her dog on the head. The lady on the bench next to me tried to tell her that abuse will get her nowhere, but she wasn't paying attention.

At 5, I went to Fox Tower. I felt like a movie. Went to see The Goods. As I went in I saw a line. The dude behind the counter said it was for Thirst. I wish I knew they were playing that as a special preview because I sure as shoot would have seen that instead. Park Chan Wook Vampire movie vs Jeremy Piven unknown comedy? Yeah. Anyway, The Goods had a few laughs but was overall lame. It also had a random absurdest quality. It wanted to be bigger but it just wasn't.

Finished True Blood when I got back. I like reading.

Also, today is the two year anniversary of Trillobite! 730 days and still going strong.

No comments: