hi

hi

Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Luna"-gacy

The package didn't come in the morning so I set off to Friday with a big feeling of dread that all the weekend might just be my comic, Luna, and Katie with Jade Plants.

Dom and Michaela already had their neat little set up. Mine took all of two minutes to put together. Blanket. Comic. Prints. The price tags took a little while longer. 2$ for the comic, 50 cents for a Luna, and 3$ for the two color Katie with Jade Plants. They are not registered all that well so yeah.

The Luna prints sold out pretty much, save for a few of the blue on blue ones. Some people remarked how cheap they were. Personally, I would have felt bad for charging more seeing as how I gave away 150 of them to family and friends. I want my art to be shared and put up, not bartered for. A few people were psyched about the comic but not as many at Stumptown.

I traded a comic and a luna. One to a very nice shy girl with pretty features. A man with hair like Wolverine bought my comic and I didn't even have to give him a hard sell. And I'm not being mean, he must have genuinely styled his hair like Wolverine. The side tufts, the mutton chops. All the way!

All in all, I made $21 for about four hours behind the table. Seems not like much but the numbers are good. About 7 comics and 19 Lunas. Now that I'm just down to the comic, it will either be a buy or not. And there was not that many people wandering around. The crowd is very different from Stumptown.

Stumptown Comics Fest
+bigger name publishers
+larger crowd
+participants in a slightly higher income bracket
+mostly comics but is open to prints and zines
-costs more for a table
Portland Zine Symposium
+free admission
+cheap, easy to get tables
+mostly self publication
-small crowd
-participants in a slightly lower income bracket
-not as much comic folk

For showcasing a comic, go to Stumptown. For showcasing cool printing, go to PZS. Combining both? Do both.

My table was slightly almost directly across from Robopocalypse. BT and Matt mostly manned the table. BT's moustache was all dishelved. He should use that moustache wax that he handmade. I tossed a few paper airplanes with doodles on the paper at them. One of how their table looked and one of BT thinking, "What ever happened to Orlando Bloom?" Because seriously, whatever happened to him? I shared some cookies with them (oh yeah, I went to Safeway to get some change and some yeast and chocolate milk. Gabe also made me a sandwich that I ate half before leaving and the other half at around 4). It's nice being near familiar faces. Dom, Thom, and Michaela have a table farther away. I can see them and they can see me but thats about it.

Rustin, the guy from my failed internship, was also there. He said something about feeling guilty or ashamed or something. Not sorry. He didn't say he felt sorry. Dom and some other people came up when he was at my table and he didn't stick around. So thank you Dom, it was too early for me to have an awkward moment.

A lot of people loved Luna. Of course. Some of James' roommates were delighted to meet the person who drew the cat. I love it when my art preceeds me. If I died tomorrow, at least I have left a legacy.

Did I mention the guy with Wolverine hair? Yes? Okay.

I left my table for a minute and turned around to see people eyeing my art. No one else is coming to take over. 7 hours tomorrow, by myself. Well Michaela and people offered to watch my table if ever I want to wander. I want to make some more money first. No buying unless I earn. Well, I might buy lunch from Subway. Unless Gabe makes me another sandwich.

My table right now is next to some anarchists. My halftable mate and next door table mate have not arrived yet. Stuff I have overheard from their table:
"It's like an anti-patriarchy scene right?"
"What's your name?" "Shirt, and yours?" "Yuglo."

Adam from Australia and I had a nice chat. He had a thick accent and we chatted about travels. I mentioned living in Australia with my oil rig working pop and he recommended a book call "Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I'm A Piano Player in a Whore House." Does this sound like something acceptable for dad to read? Hmmm. Paul Carter wrote it.

Met some nice people. Met some really pretty people (mostly the girls through, the guys are more along the lines of Derelicte).

I sat and wrote and looked sad and lonely.

The building is a real challenge to get into. You have to take the right stairwell or else you'll wind up in a different section with no way to get across the floor. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I came home at around 7 to an email about me recieving a package!! Karen's I hope! If one of you loving family members sent me something...well it better be something awesome. But yay, I'll have the set up. And I will look more like a Zinester printer than a huge lonely nerd.

No comments: