hi

hi

Friday, May 8, 2009

STAR TREK!!! COMICS!!! PERCEIVERS!!! YEAHHH!!

STAR TREK WAS AWESOME! The new movie, oh so very good. Great action and all that. Clean effects, lovely casting, nice references to the original series without being out of place. Waah! Saw Midnight showing even though there were ones all through the day for some reason. I am PUMPED!

I slept in because math was just the cube. Whatever. Had a tuna fish. I can solve the cube in under 3 minutes. I even got it under 2. Amazing.

Digital illustration was frustrating. I started over and started over again. I just can't get my head around the project. Had to take a mental break and talk to the crew in the library.

Oh and Simon Pegg was wonderful as Scotty. It was just, ahh. The audience was excellent. There were cheers when lines were said and when some characters showed up. There was even a hot green skin red hair alien. Sylar as Spock was seamless. Leonard Nimoy was there as well. Time travel! Phasers set to stun! Hitting on sexy alien chicks!

It was First Thursday as well and that brought around crackers and cheese for the Illustration Juried Show. We had a little table and everybody gathered around and snacked. Terry, Matt, Nathalie, Amanda, Erin, Karen, Dom, Sally Jablonski, Jen, myself. You know, the crew. Everyone who showed and got in got a free sketchbook! There were even moleskins to grab so I now have a shiny new moleskin to draw in. Fancy. The awards were also given out:
Bronze: Karen's Hank Williams silkscreen poster.
Silver: Jen Lee's watercolor collage Clint Eastwood
Gold: Erin's watercolor portrait of a lady singer that I forget.
Honorable Mentions: Matt's Mama Cass and Trillian's Katie with Jade Plants.
That's right. I got honorable mention! Which means out of the top 5 pieces, mine was around 4 or 5. This show was juried by high ups from around the country that Martin brought in. People totally unaware of us, just looking at the cohesiveness of the piece. And I was high up on the list! AWESOME!

I stuffed my face and Karen, Erin, Erin's boy and I walked down to Floating World Comics. We ran into Shaun, the math teacher, and I declared how fast I could solve the cube. Morgan has a show at one of the galleries and looking at his paintings and prints, it makes perfect sense. Fits just wonderfully in accordance with who he is.

Floating World Comics has a Kitty Pryde inspired show which the proceeds from the print sales are going to fund research concerning hemophilia. Kitty Pryde is a member of the X-Men. She is the one who can go through walls. So it was tons of different artists all drawing her in whatever way they wanted. It was really cool. I can't wait to check it out when it is more vacant. Farel had a piece, Matthew Seely had a piece, Zachary Baldus had a piece, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Joelle Jones, Nathan Powell, and just more and more. It was real neat. Karen bought a silkscreen. We walked back up and talked about our plans for our own comic/art/print collective we are forming: The Perceivers.

It was a surprisingly easy ride back home. Relaxed. Ate some pasta. Katie and her friend Eric are going to see The Shins tonight. At 11:20 I met up with Karen and we drove to the Lloyd 10. There was a slight panic at the sight of a full parking lot but there was a 11pm show. We were in the massive theatre and found side seats pretty easily. STAR TREK WAS AWESOME!! The audience cheered and clapped. A guy had a lightsaber which he whipped out during the trailer for the second Night at the Museum movie. He brought it out only once when Darth Vader came on screen. It was awesome. It really got the energy going. Nerd audiences are the best. When the movie was over, all I could say was how brilliant it was. Ahhh I just want to see it AGAIN! Go see it people, it is way neat.

I have to document my work over the weekend. And finish my illustration. After that it is just study for group theory and finish digital and turn in said documentation. Endgame for my fourth semester at PNCA. I will be a junior. I will have one year until my senior thesis. I am half way done. I am halfway done and getting honorable mentions in juried shows and selling my comics and forming collectives.

No comments: