hi

hi

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

blue ink, my new foe!

Arrived at school in time for a supposed comic class meeting. Then no one else was around. Grabbed some cocoa and a muffin. And still no one showed up. Uhh. Yeah so later Lacey texted me to inform me that it was delayed till next week. Ha. Okay. Oh well. I was more than on time for the final printmaking critique.

First up was Junko's butterfly piece that felt very trapped. It was registered like a dream. Patrick's piece was confusing both in technique and execution. It was printed on yupo, which didn't take the ink at all and made it very brittle and in need of a spray sealant. The image also didn't read all that well. Bre had a lovely Audrey Hepburn that was critiqued as seeming a little contradictory and unfinished. Still, it was pulled nicely.

Everyone loved Luna! It also probably helped that I handed out the single image posters to bribe everyone. The cat was said to just have an aura of indifference and even when the registration was off, the cat just didn't care. I loved it. One of my favorite critiques. I like that my art brought a little joy to people. Everyone loves it when I give them a poster. I can't print them fast enough, or give them away quick enough. It's great!

Lunch was met with about 20 minutes of comic club where Taylor spaced and didn't show up for. Went and got a burrito after Daniel bought another Luna for a buck (I had given him one, which he gave away, and a second to replace that). Had a delicious burrito.

The other half of critique was Devin, Phil, and Brandon's collaboration zine silkscreen. They worked on making images together and putting them together in a little booklet that folded out into a larger poster. It was so rad. It really came together, which was good because Yoshi had been on their case from the first hint of them working together. The colors really tied it all together I felt. Some of the styles were a little different. It was a neat form of folding, I'll have to look into it. Right now I'm thinking of single image prints I could easily make oodles of. Hmmmn. Diana's 14 color owl print with pretty much perfect registration was met with a, "YOU ARE CRAZY!" I don't know how she got it so impeccable 9besides talent and patience and perfectionism). A really beautiful piece.

We were let out early but I stuck around to print more Lunas. I bought some nicer paper but when I cut it down she didn't quite fit so I don't know how I feel about them. I got a few more newsprint though and used up some ink. Then I was pulling the ink across the screen and DISASTER the block holding the screen up slipped and the screen clattered down and ink got all over me! A huge strip on my shirt and pants! Cherish helped grab my spare shirt out of my bag (I had ink all over my hands) and I dashed to wash the wet ink off my clothes before it stained. It came out of the shirt alright but I needed the private bathroom to remove and wash my pants. The person took forever and I shall name that person: TABOR! Took for freaking ever while the ink began to set. But it all came out. A lot of water and brisk scrubbing in the sink and it came out. It was not fun to wear the sopping wet pants. I just had to wear them long enough to get my yoga pants. Whew for spares!

In yoga duds I cleaned up my station (and washed my screen out which now has an insane big blue stain). Got everything folded. I felt a little doofy but at least I was comfortable.

At a little after 5, I helped set up the Illustration Juried Show! In the hallway! Outside the bathroom! Seriously, someone dropped the ball and we didn't get a halfway decent spot. We had to set up our fancy juried show in the hallway that we normally have for our classes. Bullpucky! Still, I got in. There is some serious talent in the show.

Then yoga! I remembered to do it. A new gal joined us. It wasn't so tough but I was stiff. I gave away prints after the session.

Then it was time to go home and do my laundry. Wash the ink victim pants and shirt and all my other regular dirty clothes. It all came out and they are folded and warm. Mmm.

I get to sleep in tomorrow because it is just a Rubik's cube solving day. I don't really need to spend an hour and a half solving something I can do in 5 minutes without almost any notes. Yeah. Go me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna see Luna art!!!!

JS

Unknown said...

hey look, I've got an identity