hi

hi

Friday, May 1, 2009

now that's what I call acti-oh nevermind

Today had a double dose of thesis defenses. Oh wait, triple.

Started off bright and early at 9am with Nathalie. She gave us storytime with her book and showed off her illustrations. It was a lovely little discourse about recreating a story and working through the pain. It was a cozy little thing. We cheered her on.

Killed time until lunch, which was sandwich and salad again. I had a lot of salad and a sandwich half. Their was gossip and nerd talk and rooting for the people coming up. Sat with Nathalie, Matt, Daniel, and Lacey. I had this test print of Luna that I was handing out and Craig saw it and found me in the computer lab and said that I had better saved one for him. I'm glad that so many people like my little poster. I'll have to do more.

Jason Powell's thesis was the hotspot to be. He has been installing it in the room all week long. Just bringing in plants and piles of dirt. Very hush hush and top secret till the time came. And it did! he did a large scaled installation of a dinosaur towering over you. It was set up in this little room you go into so it is very dark, moist, noisy, and suffocating and there is a strobe and you look up and ahhhh its a dinosaur about to attack you!! Very awesome. A big endeavor, more so because he is an illustration major. He talked about the role of pop culture in his work and movie effects and all that. My mind wandered a little bit but he had a lot to talk about. The room was packed. Easily 40 people, could have been 60.

Matt's was next. It was a crowd of nerds in his audience. The Robopocalypse crew was there, some upper level published people, Bryan, Nathalie, BT and the rest. His comic was drawn straight from his life and retold in a steampunk fashion. As he was talking about his family and how he related that to his current work, it got me thinking. Yeah.

Anyway, Powell's is having a nifty deal. Taschen books are on super sale and if you spend $30 you get a Powell's pint glass. Karen, Lacey and I tool a stroll in the nice sunny sun to Powell's after the thesis. I hard trouble finding the amount and wound up with Catcher in the Rye, Catching the Big Fish by David Lynch, and an encyclopedia about ways to die. And I got a couple magazines to push me over the amount. The glass was mine! Karen got a sweet deal on a Taschen book (none interested me). It was a nice ride back. Lounged.

Went to the Midnight showing of Wolverine with Karen and Adam. Hugh Jackman was sexy, Liev Schreiber was brutal, Ryan Reynolds was funny in the start, Dominic Monaghan was adorable. The computer graphics were often very noticeable. The story felt pieced together and in a hurry to get to the next spot. It needed like 20-30 extra minutes. It felt like a very short movie. I didn't get really overly excited or pumped while watching it. Had some cool sequences, sorta. Worth a rent down the line I guess but nothing really worth racing out to see. The bit after the credits was lame.

Tomorrow is Terry's proposal and the May Day Soiree.

No comments: