hi

hi

Saturday, May 2, 2009

May Day Soiree and the end of Focus Week

Didn't take that much to get up for Terry's, even though I was up till 3. I've been totally hooked on Bangkok Haunts. Just powering through it. It is a nice soft read. Anyway, got up for Terry's. Straightened my hair instead of washing it as a preliminary step for later prep for the school dance.

From Burnside, it was a semi drag race between my bicycle and Karen's new Rav4 (new to her, it isn't a new car). I had the benefit of having my lane all to myself so I could keep a constant speed. I beat her by a few seconds. Erin was also in a car but it wasn't a race.

Terry's proposal was that he is doing a series of concept illustrations for The Tempest. He is doing the concepts as a set up for a live adaptation so he will have full costumes and color schemes and all that. He totally killed it. His presentation was clean and clear and he spoke with insight. All the questions were answered in a way that made sense. His panel had Joe and Trevor and so they came at him with the illustrator questions and the literary ones. Morgan was there and just seemed to have fun. It was a lovely proposal. Professional but easy going.

After was the long loiter till lunch. I sat with Daniel, BT, Taylor, and Sean Carney. It was curry and rice and fortune cookie day. Mmm. We sat around for a long time chatting. Daniel has a Becky Cloonan tattoo on his side! I was so excited to see that. BT makes his own moustache wax and sells it. Eventually I rode my bike back home.

Groomed myself, picked through my clothes, read some of my book. Gabe made me a pasta meal that was delicious. I wore my red halter dress that is knee length with the white and blue flower print. I wore my wedge heels with that and just had a light sweater for the bike ride. It was a nice little summer number. The heels/wedges clashed a little with the dress but I made them more.

I arrived early to help set up. It started at 8:30 but it didn't really kick off till 9:30. Karen was in a saucy pencil skirt. Robin had a lovely ruffle top. Adam was in full suit. Natalie was in a white halter and she was born to dance. Katie and her friend Tom came, Katie was in a slinky gold dress and Tom in a little vest and scarf and hat. Terry wore what he had on earlier. He and Colin chilled. Nathalie wore a gold dress with a nice little cinch. Tabitha wore an old high school dance dress. A few people seemed to recycle something left over from high school. It was a wonderful mix of dressed up formal, summer wares, casual, and regular. Thom was in the regular. Matt had a photobooth set up and took Polaroids of people. I had some with Junko taken. Terry created a lovely unicorn backdrop for the photos.

The live band was loud. The beer garden was lively but not packed. The dance floor was far from packed but it was nice to have room. Some people just stayed in the beer section. I went back and forth but I only had one to start my night. There was free food out the wazoo! Pepperoni, crackers, cheese, cake, cheesecake, vegan cheesecake, gluten free cupcakes, cookies, and there was soda and iced tea and juice and water. Ohh so much! Way too much. A huge overestimate. But better to have twice as much. People got to walk away with some nice cakes for their personal consumption. I have two liters of soda and a cookie plate right now.

I danced with Tom (not Thom) and Katie. Did some twirls and some jigs. Lots of walking around. Lots of pain in the feet by the end but far better than if I had worn my heel heels. The party only lasted 4 hours and before we knew it, it was time to tear down decorations.

It was about 12:30 when I left. It was raining but it was a soft, warm rain. It was very nice on my bare legs as I rode home. It was also nice to use a different part of my leg. Lot of strain on the ball.

Ahhh the weekend. I'll sleep in and then take count of all that I have to do by Monday and then do it.

No comments: