hi

hi

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

oh frabjuous joy

I shared my banana bread with my figure drawing class. It was a huge hit. I'll make the second loaf tomorrow and dole it out again. It is nice to have such a favorable response to the things I make.

We have moved on to shadow now as well as a more diverse range of mark making. Our drawing was made up of lots of little marks that noodled into creating a soft idea of a form. It did look really soft and round and human once I got to the end of the drawing session. The final drawing was a combination of contour and that technique. Karen wasn't around for us to do our usual joint drawing. Morgan went over the puppets and our progress (I need to start all over again as I didn't do the papier mache right). I have so many ideas, I just need to commit to one and do it.

During break I printed out some Keanu Reeves pictures for my painting piece. He is so sad looking. In class I tried drawing him and he is harder than he looks. Charlie gave me some great advice about trying to copy the shadow shapes instead of the facial lines and instantly my preliminary sketches improved. I gave my little presentation on Duchamp's last piece. It sort of wasn't as good as my Beardsley presentation but oh well. Class was discussions and more examples of design that she doesn't explain the relevance for. Oh great, this artist did everything and every style but what does that mean? Oh I have to figure it out for myself? So much for being taught...

Painting was devoted to the creation of our recognizable person picture. JAMES IS DOING KEANU REEVES AS WELL! That little idea thief. Well, his is about one fifth the size of mine and will be totally different once I start the painting. It took me all class to sort the sketching out. No one has said it looks like him but can instantly recognize James' (his also says Keanu). Once I get it painted it should hopefully come through. My sketch is very light. I think the dimensions are 18"x18". Possibly bigger. It is really big. Farel's David Lynch looks like a slightly sun tanned Lynch but none the less recognizable. Jen is doing a very badass Clint Eastwood that probably follows through the most with the "editorial" part of the assignment. Amina's Anna Nicole Smith echoes the images of the Virgin Mother in all the wrong ways but it looks nice thus far. Bryan is doing a very overly stached Neitzsche. Erin is embarking on a spooky, owl eyed Vincent Gallo portrait. No Karen or Erin from Alaska to be had. It is a fun assignment and due pretty soon but I am itching to work on it more so finishing it shouldn't be a problem.

After class was time for Rome! Second season! Yay! Violence! Cleopatra! Period costumes! I love it. Heroes is ridiculous. Sylar as a love interest? Really Daphne and Parkman isn't believable and Claire should have kept that "I'm the catalyst wheee" stuff to herself.

Oh, Jen, Erin and I went to the new Safeway for a late lunch snack. I got a slice of cake. It looks like Whole Foods when you enter it but the aisles are distinctly Safeway. No more overprices Pearl Market for us anymore!

No markdown shift means no 4:30am alarm. It also means I may not make Yoga because if I stay till 6:00 then I'll get home at 6:40 and by the time I get to school, Yoga would be half over. There is an Illustration Party at 7:00 which I may attend instead. I love Yoga but I would also like to chill with the Illustration Crew. So many choices!

No comments: