hi

hi

Friday, April 4, 2008

no clue

In drawing class we had a lecture from Lennie about art schools from across the globe (mostly Europe). He talked about Slade and how massively prestigious it was and how he was part of the critique board there. I worked on a little drawing during the lecture. He didn't talk that much about the school in Belgium that I want to go to. We got out early.

I finished up the new comic club flier, photocopied it, and put it up around school. Walked and talked with Christopher while I was doing it. It is a pretty cool and catching flier. Very clear as to what it is (not like some others we have had).

Went home, worked on some pieces, read some of my textbook, ate some food, prepared some paper for class, and watched City of Lost Children. Well only part of it, I am going to watch it all the way through with Karen some time this weekend (probably). I am sure I did more during my break between classes but looking at my to-do list proves that thinking incorrect. I didn't do much. Damn.

Oh, I got my Easter care package from home. It had an adorable Peter Rabbit chocolate bunny which I chomped down. And so many fruit leathers and peanuts and sweets and pens and such cool cool stuff. Wheee.

Class was spent all in sketching mode. I'll paint it over the weekend and sketch the next part. Can't start the next part without finishing the first. Annie handed back all of our work. I only have a perfect score on one piece, and that one isn't that great. The ones I put serious effort into all came up short. Some I understand why, others it really pisses me off. I spent way more time on them than was probably necessary and still I don't get a good score. I understand her not wanting to be a "well you tried, here's an A" teacher but come on! Every piece, save for one, comes up short some how? It is a 13 piece stack and 12 of them... argh! That didn't make me happy. I also have to come up with a concept and a form of presentation for my final and I don't know how I am going to do that. No clue. None. I just wanted to get better at portraits. To be able to draw people how they look, to capture what makes them them and identifiable. I wanted to work on that but now I have to focus on how they work as a whole, how to tie them together, how to express something deeper. I don't think I have enough skill right now to do both. I know what I need to work on but I have to muddle that up with trying to overextend myself into forcing messages and themes. I don't want to do that but right now I'm loosing lots of points because I am not. Damnit all.

Walked around the stalls around school. First First Thursday in a while where they had them up. Nothing great beyond one nice artist lady from RISD who had some beautiful etchings.

I've started riding up Johnson and then going home along 19th. Its a bit of a climb at the start but after Burnside it is pretty much all coasting. The route is prettier as well. I got so sick of 13th.

Read more of my text. Ate some junkish food. Watched lego animations of Eddie Izzard routines. Stressed out. Really stressed out. I have to etch and write a report and paint and read and email some people. And I don't know how I am going to tie together my final in painting. Or what I am going to do in comic lit either. The school gives you breaks at the worst possible times. You get a good working momentum, then it all stops, then you have to do the pre-final push. And then then final push.

No comments: