hi

hi

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

the poor get slightly less poor

I'm not so keen on the online game/forum Gaia. I was when I was...fourteen? Fifteen maybe. It is sort of colorful, silly, and overall a time waster. Anyway some people might say about it, "You can't pay me to play Gaia!" When it comes to me, you can. $75 is a nice sum. That was what the focus group was for. We showed up and talked about online games and our interests and then we played the game (Gaia Battles or something). It was cutesy but nothing really original. Our insight was that it needed something original that was a draw otherwise it was just good for the people who play Gaia right now. But yeah, two hours of talking and playing a test game and then I rode home $75 richer. Yeaah!

It was cold riding to and from the place but not raining. Chinatown and Oldtown scares me after dark but it wasn't so bad. Being around non-art school students was a big shock for me. They are so...same dressing. It was weird.

Today was fairly long and short at the same time. One of those busy days where you get up later in the day and end up without a breather till 9:00pm.

Printmaking had a quick overview of where our prints are (we have time to work on them before we turn in the series, that is awesome). I am starting to move on to my next prints but I have a couple more (nice) prints to make. Got some good advice on where my print is (nice lines, etc). The class is small but the variety of work is so broad. After that we broke for lunch.

I ran into Diana and we went to the Sports Bar and Grill and got some warm eats to go. I had a grilled chicken sandwich that wasn't really worth the price but it was fun slobbering over the meaty food in the PNCA commons. The garlic fries were superb, almost worth it. Anyway, it is fun to treat yourself to a full meal every now and again.

While walking across the commons I encountered Jack. He extended his hand in what I thought was a "bro tap" (or whatever it is called when you bump your fists together in form of greeting) and so I returned his tap. Then he told me to, "hold you your hand." So I did and he dropped a chocolate into it.

Returning to class we went on a little walkabout trip to look at some local print galleries. Saw some great pieces at the first place we went to...and when we left it started pouring rain so we just went back to PNCA. I was working on my bedhead look but it just became drenched rat instead. Oh well. I sprayed the back of one plate (after cleaning it up a little). He gave us a hardground demonstration. We have to combine hardground with one of our other techniques. I'll probably use it with the sugarlift. I'm not sure what my next prints will be exactly. Maybe Bigfoot related... I prepared another plate from getting it cut, filed, sanded, scrubbed, cleaned, and all the way through to spraying the back. When I went to spray it I ran into Matt, Michael, Jim, and Robin on my journey to the spray booth. I'm working on one 6x9 plate and one...larger. I don't want to say 12x18 but that might be the size. I think that will be the sugarlift as there will be more room to work with the medium. For tea time I had Sweet Wild Orange tee. I prefer the pomegranate but it was quite tasty.

Free yoga started today but I couldn't make it because of the focus group. I just relaxed and home and had some nibbles before riding out again. It would seem I am more likely to now make two back and forth trips to PNCA (or a similar distance) in a day than one trip, even though only Tuesday and Thursday really warrant the journey. My legs will be in better shape after this semester than after the last one! Whoo!

Celia sent me a wonderful package. The letter in it made me a little homesick. I am missing all the little things she is doing with the Big House. Now I will only see her place grow in leaps and bounds. She gave me a wonderful and comfy shirt with the package (and wonderful, and much needed, lip balm). It smells like her, the shirt does. I would say it smells like home but it smells like Auntie Celia specifically and she is a part of that home.

It made me sad.

No comments: