hi

hi

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

bigfoot (and other like creatures)

Okay yeah. I was right. We did the collage wrong. It also wasn't due today. He wanted lots of little pieces assembled and not the shapes cut into the forms. Everyone had theirs done and no one had it like how he wanted so obviously it was his fault for not being clear enough. Grr. Oh well. Outside of that, the drawing class went pretty well. We spent 45 minutes drawing a single still life. I drew a glass vase. It ended up fairly decent. Karen and I passed a couple notes back and forth commenting on how the dead silence in the class resembled detention (not that I have ever been). Really really quiet. Even when he leaves the room no one talks. We are trying to form a community but no one extends themselves.

The next part was we had to do a quick sketch of a set up of this still life he made with tons of mannequin parts (mostly legs). Then we took the sketch and adapted it into an organic shape. So I drew some trees and stumps and logs lying about. And Bigfoot lying behind the logs. Little did I know Bigfoot would be a theme for the day. I completed my drawing and was very satisfied with it. I was saddened we didn't critique them in class but we will probably get to it on Thursday.

After class I hit up the library for another armload of books. Love that place, lots of great references about. Have to know my stuff!

Home was a lounge about. Nibbled on some snack food, watched youtube videos, and looked through one of my library books. I had to leave early to print out something for the painting class and buy some gouache. The gouache was picked up at Art Media. I bought the 8 piece set (which has two yellows, two reds, two blues, a black and a white...but no secondary or tertiary colors) and a tube of burnt sienna to round it off. I had to use my "emergency" card; which is to say my Key Bank debit card, onto which all my paychecks go. It is sort of my savings but hey, saved them for when I have to buy painfully expensive art supplies. Art supplies which I didn't really use because I still had remnants left over from the gouache tubes that came with the portfolio starter set I bought last semester! Well once I started using them (hey look a teacher that shows you how to use them without burning through your tubes) I knew I had made a good buy. Really like the medium now.

The assignment for this week is to take two dissimilar landscape sections and stick them on a piece of watercolor paper and paint the blank space as if to join the two landscapes together. A really cool assignment and we can put whatever we want in the landscape. Mine is a cloudy mountain (taken from a photo of mine from Toyama) which joins to a rice field and it has mountain dwelling, Bigfoot-esque people between the two. I even worked on it for a few hours tonight because I love the painting so much. I don't want to rush it at all. It still has a few of the creatures and the clouds to be put it but I love the way it is looking. I wish both the photos were mine but they are not so I can't really get full credit for it.

Someone was saying some stupid stuff in class (not naming names but if you were there, you know who I mean) and I was saying that she was reading too much into it and that Cookie Monster just loves cookies. Anyway we were being a bit loud (I was working all the time!) and the teacher told us to keep it quiet for fifteen minutes. A tad embarrassing but it wasn't my fault. Next time I will sit farther away from the igniter of Sesame Street disputes.

I went home, ate a dinner of leftover French toast, Oreos, and milk, looked at my art books, and painted. Didn't get anywhere on my sketches for printmaking but I will work on those...tomorrow. I have to prepare the plates anyway so no biggie. I'm a little ahead anyway and I know what I want to do. Sort of.

Yay Wednesday is tomorrow! Printmaking + paid focus group!

No comments: