hi

hi

Friday, October 12, 2007

what it took

What would it take to get me to wear my bike helmet. My ugly, uncomfortable helmet. I always thought I would wear one if I had one that was mine and not something that was given to me that doesn't fit. Today I bought a helmet that I liked. It is white with colorful polka dots. It isn't very aerodynamic but my bike itself isn't very suited to the city anyway. I rode it all around today and am very pleased with it.

It took a death to get me to wear my helmet.

Yesterday I road past a crime scene; Burnside was blocked off and police were milling about. Yesterday, Sean had told me about passing it right as they were pulling a tarp over a body. This morning Sean called me and told me it was Tracey Sparling. A new student to PNCA, a transfer student and communications design major. I didn't have her in any of my classes but I'm sure we have met in passing. She was 19. Even if I didn't know her, just by being here it brings us all together.

I took part in the memorial ride for her. We went up Burnside, hundreds strong, a slow procession dinging our bells. Being there was very surreal, the spot where she was killed was a spot I pass every day on my way to school. I'll bring some flowers to the spot tomorrow.

The day was just an odd haze for me. I went and got my helmet and a little strap to put around my ankle for loose pants (some pants don't roll up well and I don't have rubber bands big enough). I went to the bank, was told to come back in an hour and a half because the lady was going to lunch/meetings. Went to Goodwill and found a close enough to the pivotal part of my costume. Went to Pro Photo and got two more rolls of film (the last I will have to buy). Went to the school to see the memorial. Went back to the bank and opened up an account. Went back to my apartment.

Lindsay lost her voice, I had to call in sick for her this morning. She is still ill.

I left early to see if Red Light/Buffalo Exchange had any of the other key parts for my costume. Buffalo Exchange had the pants (for cheap too, booyah!) and another part. All I need is the hat now. Didn't need to go to Red Light. I then cruised down Burnside and at around 5:45 met at the Bridge and waited for the procession to begin.

After we rode to the spot, I parted ways and went to PNCA for the art film night. More people here this time so that was great. Paprika was fun but I was really distracted.

I left after Paprika, and Jim and I chatted at length over some hot beverages (mine was a steamer with raspberry goodness, his was something with caffeine). We parted ways and I was about the ride home when Nate, Jack and a guy I didn't recognize but he clearly thought my name was awesome came out from the movie night. We talked a little bit and Nate and Jack left and I talked with the mysterious third guy who is named Blair. He was checking out the school and also NCA in Poulsbo so I told him about the area (both Portland and Kitsap). We parted ways and I was about to ride off when someone shouted my name and I turned around and it was Craig, Matt, and Andy. Some more talking at length. Craig left for the studios and Matt and I talked about hanging out tomorrow afternoon. Their ride (Michael) showed up and so then I made my getaway before any more familiar people could show up.

One of my Olympic College classmates died in a car crash. I don't really understand that hole that is created when someone you don't know, but are aware of, dies.

No comments: