hi

hi

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

achievement unlocked: employment

Yesterday, I was anxiously awaiting hearing back about my job. Today I learned, at my new job, how to use an automatic screen printing press.

Booyah.

Tuesday:

I spent the day anxiously awaiting a call in regards to employment. Ma & Pa were up in the redwoods, so I decided to meet them for dinner, and to spend the night, and to return to San Francisco the next day. Needed to get out of the house because sitting by the phone wasn't doing me any good. Earlier in the day I did more laundry (pants) and all that good stuff. I went to Sheng Kee and got a bunch of pastries for Ma & Pa, because they like sweet treats.

Left at around 6:15ish. At 6:30, as I was crossing Golden Gate Bridge, I got a call from Chris informing me that, if I still wanted that job, it was mine. So, yes, I took it. I'm employed! I have a job! After, oh, two months? I got a job! And a job in the field of stuff that I enjoy doing! HURRAY!

The first thing I told Ma and Pa, when I arrived at their campsite. A triumphant "I GOT THE JOB" followed by hugs and happy dancing and a burger and a bevvy and several s'mores. Perfect! They also got me a totally sweet banana slug paper weight (it's glass, not real) and taffy. Love my parents, they understand exactly the things that I like. We played some games, and then at 9ish, we tucked into bed.

I had a fairly restless night sleep, what with the anxiety of starting work tomorrow. LEGIT WORK! AHHH! Chris (my new boss, who is really nice and high fived me several times today) asked when I could come in and I said Wednesday because I was ready to start. Anyway...

Wednesday:

I said I would start today, but not until 1pm. Come in a bit later. I got up at 7:30. Ate poached egg on toast with melted cheese, and had some tea, and some of the pastries I brought. Left at 8:15ish. Gassed up the car. Headed back to San Francisco. Paid the toll on the bridge (there was no toll when I left). Got in at around 9ish. Had some more tea. Showered. High fived Josh (who was leaving right as I arrived) and happy danced some more. Carmen is back! She goes away, and I interview and get a job! Woaaah! Things move fast.

At 11:30, after packing a sandwich, I left for work! My job! And I arrived right on time, well, with time to spare! With no traffic, it is about an hour and fifteen minute commute. With traffic it goes to hour and 45 minutes, though most of the traffic happens around San Francisco, so I think the coming back is more the cluster than the getting out of. Need to move to Santa Cruz, though I do quite enjoy living with Carmen and Josh. And the commute ain't so bad, because 11/22/63 is quite the awesome audiobook! It is nice and lengthy too, but moves at a good pace.

Anyway. Work! Love it. My boss is Chris, my coworkers (that I've met, there might be more) are Julie and Andrew. Julie showed me how to start up the automatic press and clean the vents in the dryer. Chris showed me how to work the press. The heat, the putting on the pallet beds, the spray glue, the system of it all. It went by quite quick, and I'm sure I didn't get it all, but I got enough that I was able to run the press and print a bunch of sweatpants without needing Chris to make sure I was doing it up to snuff! YAY! I can only go up from here, and for my first day I think I started at a pretty good place. And pants are apparently really hard to load and unload. There will be shirts tomorrow. Multi color layer shirts. That will be INTENSE I'm sure. And I can't wait! I can't wait to get uber proficient! I can't wait to get better and all that wonderful awesome stuff.

AHHH! I have a job. I went to art school. I learned how to screen print. I graduated. I got a job (13 months later) using my skills. How great is that?

YAY!

Anyway, Carmen and Josh are playing Kinect. I'm going to join them.

No comments: