hi

hi

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Seabeck, WA to Medford, OR


My alarm went off at 7am, and I managed to roll out of bed at 8:30. Go me! I showered and got right to packing and sorting and putting things into boxes. Pretty soon all my stuff came together. Art supplies, hair stuff, books, more art supplies. The pile started forming and I started getting worried about if it would all fit in the Prius. Before I piled it all in, I paused to have some tea and Cheerios. It was a lovely sunny day in Washington. Luckily, everything all fit! And I didn't even need to cram or do any major Tetris-oh crap I left my Tetris shelves at home! Oh well. Anyway, it all fit! My clothes, my plastic wheely organizer, my portfolio, my Baticelli, everything! It seems like a lot of stuff, but I'll sort it out. At a little bit before noon, I hugged and kissed Ma goodbye. I got in the Prius, and drove off. It dripped a bit of rain. I topped the tank off at Wild Cat Lake, and vroom off I went. The rain came and went. Near to the Washington/Oregon border, the rain came down really hard. I slowed down, and was very careful, and had the windshield wipers at full. It cleared up in Portland, which was the only place traffic really slowed down. I put more gas in my tank near Eugene. Bought myself a hot dog and a Red Bull as well because I was feeling a bit tired. I listened mostly to The Incredible Adventures of Jack Flanders; switching to Electric Six or Lady Gaga when I felt like just some music.

I stopped at many rest stops. One past Olympia, one that was 95 miles to Eugene, then one further down I5, then once again 40 miles from Medford. I was originally planning to cross the border and look for a hotel there, but with night came more rain, and I didn't feel like slugging through the dark wetness, so I pulled into Medford, found a Super 8 and got a room.

Oh, it also hailed something fierce around Albany/Salem (I forget). Just really horrible hail. And some of the rain was suspiciously slushy. The Pacific Northwest is really not trying at all to win me back.

Interesting how a hotel room in Oregon has more amenities than the ones in Vegas. Big fridge, free internet, huzzah! There is also breakfast included. So I'll get up, eat, then head out for Redwood City!! Yay! Will fill up the tank before I get back on I5. The snack bag mom packed is only about half depleted.

So close to the Bay Area!

Eight hours on the road isn't that much, but the weather sucked. I think if the weather was nice, and I got an early start, I could have driven a lot more. But when it is dark and raining, guhh.

No comments: