hi

hi

Monday, April 4, 2011

thesis thoughts

I'm having trouble keeping my eye on the prize. My mind is in June right now.

But I did get down to reading and research. Watched some great Art:21 videos that had some artists talking about work and got me thinking of how to relate it to my own. Read a great interview with Ellen something. She was a bit condescending but there were some great bits to pull.

Had some rice and seaweed wrap for lunch and a scramble for breakfast. Accidentally took a totally unneeded nap while reading though.

I'm going to climb into bed and read.

I think I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

The full draft is due Friday. Wednesday is a writing day. Thursday is an editing/formatting day. The next two days are research, blurb, idea sorting out, editing what I have, and piecing it together days. I'm starting to formulate supplemental thoughts for my paper. I don't know what we are doing in class tomorrow, but I think I'll figure out how to get pictures into my paper, because I need pictures. I feel behind, but I also feel fine with where I am. Like, I know I'll get it done and I'll be happy with what I finish. I'm pretty happy with my paper, even though I don't think I'm answering the required ambiguous questions about what it MEANS.

Maybe I just feel guilty that I don't feel thesis is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Sure it takes a lot of thought and reading and piecing things together, but that isn't hard. It is just time consuming. You have to spend a lot of time thinking and resolving issues and it can be a challenge to do that, but it isn't the greatest challenge I've faced. I guess because it isn't an emotional challenge. Some of my comrades seem to be facing emotional challenges with their thesis. Am I not invested enough? Or am I invested the right amount because I know this isn't the end all be all. It is just the end of my stay at PNCA. And even then, it isn't the end of that. I'll be doing some little things after thesis but while I'm still at school. And you never really leave PNCA, you just become an alumni. What you do after comes back to PNCA, as you are a product of the institution, in one way or another.

I'm just sort of rambling right now.

Should thesis be the hardest thing? I don't think so. It should be a challenge, but it shouldn't be near impossible or unreachable. That is just a path to misery. But nothing ventured, nothing gained? I guess I feel that the art I'm producing, while I love it, it just isn't a great...triumph. The work comes easy. That probably comes from confidence in knowing what I'm doing. But it isn't that much of an artistic stretch. I'm just formalizing the casual. All though I guess the formalization is what I'm going for. I'm not over thinking final work. Alongside this intense thesises of my peers, there is this gentle kind poster series that is happening. What is that about? Hmmm.

Todays Portrait Is: Jeremy Clarkson.

No comments: