hi

hi

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

teaching the youth of tomorrow (all though I think many were my age and older)

Got up at a magic, not noon hour. And got lots of stuff done. Dishes, tidying up, showering, and all that jazz. It is good to set ones apartment affairs in order. All though my laundry is still in its basket.

Another nice day.

Before I knew it, it was time to head to Joan's Art and Design in Contemporary Society class. She asked if I would give a little talk about my thesis and we would have a discussion, and I agreed. I got all glammed up and wore my favorite Celia shirt (the red loud one with the great print) and headed down. Arrived right on time. It was a great experience, because I got to talk my experience and sound all educated and informed about the ways of education, all though I probably came off as a bit preachy but HEY I've yet to pull an all nighter so I must be onto something. I talked about physical art in the age of the internet and my theories, talked about community, talked about process. And the class had some great questions for me. Such as the nature of the relationship to the subjects (namely, will I get to know strangers for this project and I said no because the better I know someone, the more knowledgeable the drawings will be) and the vagueness of the word community and all sorts of good stuff. I think Joan tried to close down the conversation early a couple times but I kept going. It ended up being about 30-45 minutes worth of talk. And I felt I discussed it well enough. Honest enough is what I mean. And I gave away some more posters, and hopefully they will come to my thesis defense.

Back at home I worked on an outline of the conversation topics they brought up, worked on outlining the new research I'll put in, and generally worked out the game plan.

Then I went back to school for yoga and did a successful headstand! The kind where you are putting your weight in your elbows and arms and the head is sort of a kickstand, but no real weight is actually in it, and then you put the rest of the body up in the air like you just don't care. I got right into it on the first go too, and the class was delighted by the pitter patter of my steps as I got myself into the position. You basically put your head into your clasped hands, but not ON the hands, and have the elbows shoulder's width apart and then you straighten your back up and into your arms and then straighten your legs so your body is in a V shape with your butt in the air, and walk your feet in till you can feel your weight shift into your arms. Yeah. I did it twice up and down successfully but on the third I flopped forward. But no harm. HEAD stand, not hand stand.

Back at home, I encouraged Tabitha and Kristen on as they practiced their thesis performance. And showed off my headstand.

Tomorrow is a writing day. It will be long, but I have a good game plan.

Todays Portrait Is: Ruth Wilson.

No comments: