hi

hi

Thursday, February 24, 2011

the great portland blizzard



It snowed! Like an inch...but there was legitimate snow sticking around in the morning. That was pretty cool. The great thing about Portland is that when it snows AN INCH, classes get called off. Okay just the morning classes, which have no actual relevance to my life. Still. Pathetic. Come on Portland. You call this weather? It wasn't even iced over or anything. Rode to school. Photocopied my sketches. Unfortnatly the art director lady couldn't come in because the day care she puts her daughter in was closed. Boo! So we talked about our sketches. Mine and Kristen's were some of the first that people were drawn too. Huzzah! There were some fantastic ideas around Behemoth. Nicole had two pages and when she revealed the second page, we all went "ooohhh". It was a nice little batch of stuff. For the rest of the first half of class, we worked on getting our stuff onto the class blog and general art...stuff. I ate the remainders of last nights meal for lunch (and late lunch). On Tumblr I discovered that the fabulous illustrator Scott Campbell was doing a live webcam stream of his latest Showdown (a series of small illustrations of famous showdowns). So I got in on that, and then it turned out that there was only 50 people allowed to watch the stream at any given time. I kept it on, on mute of course, and sort of double tasked the rest of class. I would see the drawing and then listen to the web design lecture. I'm not terribly interested in the web design lecture, all though we do need to get a proper website made by the end of class. It is good to have this stuff and good to know the resources. I think I'll probably get a domain name for cheap (trilliantrillian.com or something...maybe trilliantrilliantrillian, a Beetle Juice type thing) and do the design through Indexhibit. They mention not wanting sites to look too templated, but I'm not a web designer so I don't really care. I think that as long as I do some great background designs and stuff, that will work. I have ideas already...mmm yeah. Anyway. So that was the rest of class. When class was over I was able to turn on the audio of the live stream and at the end, Scott Campbell answered a few questions. It was really cool, seeing him work. Sketch, scan, manipulate scan in photoshop, print, trace onto paper, color it, line. And he was working really tiny too. So cool. I then worked on scanning my thesis stuff at the monstrously huge 600dpi. Most standard print resolution stuff is 300dpi, which is the number of dots per inch. The more dots, the more resolution. I needed to scan my small drawings at that high a resolution so that when they get blown up, they don't get too horribly pixeled. I went to my studio and dropped stuff off. Talked to Mel. Went to school. Put on yoga stuff. We had a substitute for yoga but she never showed (probably due to the weather). About eight of us were there and all wanted yoga, so we taught ourselves! We knew the general order of things, and we all guided one another through downward facing dogs and "the warrior that isn't the other warrior" and "tricky bind" and pigeon and wheel and "counter flop". It was great! Amazing how the students most noted for slackers all stepped up to the plate. Art students I mean. We rule. We also did three Oms. All though on the third everyone was reluctant to start for some reasons and then when one did, which was really awkward, we all broke into giggles. I love it. Love love love it. That is how community works. We all want something and band together. Sure it wasn't the most trying of classes, but we went forward and did it anyway! We culminated our knowledge. Chatted with Jon and Dom. Went home. Ate a salad and drank some orange juice. Watched my tellie. Now it isn't even midnight. A really good Thursday. Tomorrow is my meeting with Martin, yoga (if the sub shows) and then Thom's going away party. He is going away to Korea to teach English. He'll be a great teacher.

Todays Portrait Is: Nicole Cuvin.

No comments: