hi

hi

Friday, August 6, 2010

too much stuff, not enough space

So apparently mom and dad were up at 6, because when I said "I'll be up early" they thought "really early" when I really meant 9ish because I didn't have that much to pack.

I got everything in bags and hauled it down. I filled a bin with fabric and the small rotary mat. Dad played boxes tetris with the truck and got everything magically sorted away. So much stuff fit! Wow! Mom took Holly to the kennel for our trip duration. We left at around 11:30 and went through Belfair. We took a couple detours for the hydrolizer in the truck and depositing a check. We didn't hit traffic till just a couple miles out of Portland and since we transferred to 405, we got out of it quick. A car pulled out right as we got to my new apartment and we got a perfect spot! Kristen helped us unload. Hauled the bed in. Ma and Pa seemed to like the new apartment.

The new place has a lot more living room and dining space, but less cabinets, smaller closet, and a sort of smaller bedroom in general. But with some creative sorting and organizing, I think I can get it to work. We also have a downstairs storage space, which some of my dishes might end up in and maybe some winter clothes that don't need to be in circulation yet. Maybe it is time to embrace the habit of only having season appropriate clothes in the wardrobe and shifting it out. I have plenty of plastic storage bins.

My new apartment also has the possibility to paint the walls, but the walls already have some nice color. And there is generally more freedom all around. Whoo!

After moving in the stuff from Seabeck, we took a Martinelli's break and then we three went to my storage unit. Backed the truck in and ma and pa hauled several loads down and filled the truck to the brim with boxes. So many boxes. It looks like less stuff in the unit, but then it was just really compacted and upright. Makoto, a nice neighbor, helped us move! In exchange for nothing! He just hauled some boxes (he was really strong) with a smile. What a great guy. Everything went into the place quite smoothly.

Ma and Pa treated us to a high class dinner at Lucy's Table. One of those hip and fancy places but not so fancy as to refuse business to some people dressed a little casually. I had the home made pasta in a light sauce with some beans, mom had halibut, Kristen had the goat cheese ravioli, and dad had the buffalo steak. We had a little pate appetizer followed with bread. Mmm good! Not really a huge meal, just enough.

Afterwards we three made the poor decision to go to Ikea tonight. The GPS gave us trouble and we were tired and stressed upon arrival. I liked this nice rattan bed frame but after we powered through the store (to the anxiety and stress of us all) we found that the sideboards were out of stock and no one was around to help us. Boo! I did grab a hamper, clothes organizer, multiple outlet thingie, and a new pillow, but didn't locate a bathrobe. Dad picked up some food from the market and very tired from the busy day, they drove me home. I felt bad about encouraging the trip after so much activity. But what is done is done.

Got home at 9:30 and started sorting and unpacking. Moved boxes out of the way and changed my bed orientation around. This allowed space to put up my shelves, which allowed me the chance to empty a couple book boxes into them. I'll still need another book shelving solution but for now just gotta work with what I got. It looks almost cozy if you ignore the many many boxes that I still have to sort through. Maybe this next week will give me a chance to minimize and organize my life and lifestyle.

No comments: