hi

hi

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Harmony, Bliss, and Twisted Ankle

My Bike

Katie borrowed my bike to run an errand down to school and she used my cable lock instead of her kryptonite lock, and in the four hours it was left unattended, the locks were cut and now my bike is gone. Bummer. BUT Katie got together $800 to compensate for the loss, so now I can get a lightweight bike that fits me a little better (the Univega, while sturdy and reliable, was not light and barely fit). I roamed down to Bike Gallery in the early afternoon and looked at the bikes there. Normally I would shop around, but shopping around is for people who already have a mode of transportation. I don't like buses and I don't want to hog a ride from Karen every where I go. So I think I will get the nice little Trek Atwood. The helper at the store said it was built from aluminum from not horrible mines. The Trek Belleville, while pretty, was a little too bells and whistles, and I'd rather not spend so much of my budget (thankfully there is no tax in Portland!). I'll also try out the Trek 7.2 and Gary Finer Simple City 3, but the Atwood seems like it will be a good fit. Also if I buy by the end of the month, I get 10% off all add ons and free installation. Now I could install it myself, but I don't have the tighest grip on tools.

Getting Ready for the Wedding

The black patterned, but light weight, dress zipped up and fits oh so well. The day was much too warm to wear the sweater initially, but I was glad I brought it. Makeup, shoes, it all came together and I was so happy with the ensemble.

The Wedding

Jay met me at the stop for the Washington Park shuttle. She was a fabulous match in black shorts, vest, tie, and even a blond swoop in her hair. Too bad she wasn't feeling all that well, and the stress of the long commute over wasn't doing her any favors. She had to take multiple transfers just to get to the transfer, where as I just had to show up at the stop. Anyway, it was a perfect day for a wedding. Sunny and bright. And the wedding was out doors so all the better. The rose garden was full of people and many Quinceanera gatherings. We had to ask two people to find the Shakespeare Gardens. It was tucked away, but it was still a nice little place. Too bad it was standing only, because you couldn't put chairs on the lawn. Peter came up to me and put me in charge of pressing play, next, and pause on the music. Ahh responsibility! But it felt good to be trusted. The familiar family faces were all there, but Jay and I were mostly social to our selves.

It was a minimal wedding. Peter and the three groomsmen were in white with pistachio colored accents and Mariel was in gorgeous pink. Their was an arch way with some decorations, but beyond that it was just the glory of the garden and the day. There were some overlookers watching the wedding. The song that started it was from Lord of the Rings (nerds!) but it was a nice instrumental. Harmony was just amazing in her dress. It was a lovely length and had these beautiful stitched accents. The catalogue didn't do it justice. And it had a great fit. I even teared up a little bit.

It was a short wedding, which was good because we were all standing. But it was close and the words were good. It was a celebration of love and partnership and not too heavy on the prayer and being together in Gods eyes. They are a great match. They had this sand pouring ritual that I had never heard of before. It was a long wedding kiss as well. One of the grandparents said about Peter "he doesn't say much but he sure likes to kiss her". And you can just feel the love radiating from them. Ohh I can feel myself getting all teary eyed just writing about it.

After the wedding, Jay left. She wasn't feeling too hot, so I didn't want to force her through a long day with strangers.

The Reception

Two miles up the road from the Rose Garden in Washington Park was the Hoyt Arboretum. It was a lovely open air structure and we had to get it set up for the reception. Tables, food, chafing dishes, all that. I was glad to have flats and made myself as helpful as I could be. The wedding party slowly arrived. Food came together. I hung out with Abby, Mariel's cousin, mostly. She is going to be a Junior at Klahowya so we had some good talking stuff to talk about. I sat at a table with aunts and relatives from Kerry's (Kerry = Harmony's dad) side of the family. I ate a pulled pork sandwich and had some assorted juice and bubbly and beer. Mmm. It was a gorgeous day. Perfect for a wedding. The speeches were good. Funny. Harmony cried. She cried during her dances as well, but her mascara didn't run. Must be heavy duty stuff. Husband and wife dance, Kerry and Harmony. Peter and his mom. Harmony's mom and Peter's Dad. Harmony's dad and Peter's mom. It was great. I did a little boogieing but not much. Talked to one of the Groomsmen. I didn't catch the bouquet. It was really nice. And I cried some more. Just so lovely and perfect. It all came together. Really cozy effectual ceremony.

I called Karen around 7 to come pick me up, and things were winding down then so it was perfect. It was great to be able to catch up with Mariel. Old friendships.

BT's Birthday

Karen was the designated driver for the party tonight. Whoo! So she picked me up and we went to Ground Kontrol for some pinball. I'm so bad at pinball, but I really like the Batman Forever machine.

We went to Low Brow Lounge after. Just for a couple drinks while we contacted people and tried to rally them. Tabitha, Ursula, Daniel & Heather, etc. Behind us was the 24 Hour Film Fest table and they were getting submissions. When we left I missed a step and twisted my ankle. Not a drunken injury, just a clumsy one. Karen pulled the car around and I hobbled inside.

Matador! BT and I got in the photobooth there. Major fun. I kept the photos. Tee hee. Daniel and Heather and Tabitha joined us. Agnes and Ursula came as a set as well and the latter brought a bag of baked goods that were indeed very good. Karen, BT and I played scrabble. Sailin and Duelin are words. Tabitha, Karen and I also got in the photobooth. Love it! Next up was Mazatlan for margaritas and karaoke. My margarita and quesedilla cost too much and I didn't enjoy them a whole lot. I was tired and not feeling so hot. It was a long long day. BT killed it at Chantilly lace. I forget the other song he did but it was awesome as well. He has a great singing voice. The great thing about karaoke at Mazatlan is that it isn't crowded at all, so a large group can get up there many times and not wait forever to do it. Some more people were in our group. Allison, and her friends, and one of BT's studio mates John. It was a hassle to settle up the bill. Tabitha and Agnes walked home (yay for living near to downtown fun fun!) and Karen drove me back. My ankle is swollen but walkable.

I pulled on my nightie, crawled into bed and slept the good sleep of a fun day. And now to go try bikes and go to Powell's and pick up some last minute presents. And then bike my new bike over to the east side for Robin's 21st extravaganza! There will be drawing and karaoke and showing her the new side of Portland that is open to her.

No comments: