hi

hi

Thursday, February 11, 2010

booyah

Woke up at 7:30am. Let out a swear as I bounded out of bed. Showered, grabbed a granola bar, and magically arrived at school right on time!

I was out of it for the majority of class. Wasn't keen on my ink work. I need to get slightly better paper. Well, anything is better than bond. I didn't have any caffeine what so ever today, mainly because I didn't have time to brew up a thermos of black tea.

With 25 people in class, the wall of art in illustration filled up. We had to tape or pin our stuff up. A lot of people who came late had to put theirs beneath or above other pieces. It was cool though, to see it all together. We had a a general conversation about the process. I said that having to include digital print and documentation in the turn in process encourages us to get our projects done ahead of time. Then Martin went through the pieces and gave feedback. Only he talked about the work, it wasn't open chat time. By and large it was extremely favorable across the board. The pieces themselves were also damn awesome. A very diverse group, but we all get along swimmingly for the most part.

My Fanny Drazier piece had the comment that there was some nice drawing in the concept sketches and maybe the face didn't need the shading. The class got a good chuckle when Martin called out Danny Frazier's opinion on it.

Kristen, Josh, Janessa and I went to Mio Sushi for lunch. After the way harshness of yesterday, I needed a treat. Shrimp sushi is my favorite. Mmm! And I ate a lot of it.

Back in class we were given an impromptu illustration assignment. It was designed to see what type of image we could create in a few fours. It was either a 3"x3" Dante's Inferno video game illustration, or a 3"x5" Haitian earthquake triage editorial thing. I thought I would do the video game at first but an idea of a shot of the doctor the story is about (Michael Millin) looking through a hospital curtain with blood splattered on him came to my mind and I jumped on it. The thumbnails were due by 2:45, but I talked to Martin at 2:10ish. And I jumped right in. Sketched it out. I was laying in some flat color and about halfway through I though it looks like crap and ditched the color, and worked on the lineart some more. I touched it up, tightened it in, threw in a color for the doctor's coat. Originally there was going to be a scene of hospital beds through the curtain. I put some red in as a background color, and found that I liked how the illustration looked at that moment. I waved Martin down and he said that it was a very good illustration and that I was could consider myself done. I tightened the picture up a little bit and felt really good.

Nice that a long stressful week ended on such a high note. Hurrah!

Rode back home. Sat down. Ate food. Drank fluids. Watched stuff. Tomorrow I am going to help Sivonna screenprint. Then later on BT and I are going to hang out with Anthony and watch documentaries or something.

No comments: