hi

hi

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

farewell to marilyn

Grandma's Memorial was today.

It was a lovely affair. We left the house later than planned, but were still the first ones there. We had enough time to comfortably lay everything out and get the food ready. All that. We being ma, pa, Nate, Rubie, and myself.

The guest arrived in a good and steady flow. Grandma Eleanor and Grandpa Joe, Brynne & Dan, Kirie & Mark, Celia, Ben & Averie, Jeanette & Liam and Jonathan, Randelle, Linda, Carmen, Justin, Rolfe & Allison, Hans, and tons more I sort of remembered and sort of didn't.

I haven't been in a church in a long time. Marilyn's memorial was held at her Episcopalian Church. A cozy little place that was well heated.

Talked to people. Hugged relatives. Caught up with people I haven't seen in a while.

The pastor read a little, we sang a bit, Carmen sang Ave Maria. It was beautiful. People told beautiful stories of Marilyn's life and her kind spirit. She really was truly amazing. I didn't like it when people brought up Alzheimer's though. That was not her life to me. She was a darling to the end, but that isn't what I will remember of my grandmother. I have had so much support from my family, so much support for my artistic pursuits. I am so grateful for that. For someone to be exactly who they were, all the time. Ahh. Yeah.

After the service, it was food time. A wonderful buffet was laid out for us. I got a plate early and scarfed. Sat at the kids table with Averie, Justin, Rubie, Nathan, and Eleanor & Joe Sr. Okay the latter two are not kids. Took pictures with the canon. Chatted with lots of people.

It all came together in a quite neat fashion. And then it was over.

I could go into more detail, but most of the people who read this blog were there.

Went home. Hot tubbed. Went to cozy up in bed early.

No comments: