hi

hi

Friday, September 4, 2009

"I want to play Library"

Internet is still going strong.

I worked on sloooowly reading Revelation today. It's the reading for History of Printmaking. Some weird stuff going done. God is all like, "yo yo yo my tongue is made up of swords!" Yeah.

Katie cleaned the apartment and tidied. I took out recycling the other day and unloaded and loaded the dishwasher. Keeping things clean is never ending. I need to work on sorting out my room a little.

TBA for today was Young Jean Lee's Theatre Company's performance The Shipment. Reading the description it sounded like another white guilt trip. The line was full of rowdy ladies in their 60's who got grumpy the moment they had to stand in a crowd for more than a minute. They complained that as ticket holders they were being treated as second class citizens or something. Annoying.

The show was really good. It far surpasses my expectations. The first part was a monologue of the standard how white people different from black people humor. The performer was good and kept the (very much dominantly white)audience on its toes. No one walked out, which surprised me. From there it went to a very dramatic tale of Omar; a young man who dreamed of being a rapper. There were five actors and they switched out roles. It wasn't smooth acting but more exclamations of stereotyped dialogue. It was good. Three of the members got together for a song and then the final act commenced. I knew that the five actors were playing white characters from the get go because the opening lines were about the characters highly selective diet (no dairy, no red meat, no alcohol, no gluten, etc.). It was a riveting little drama though the end line, which revealed that they were all playing white people, lost its impact because I figured it out. It was a good start to TBA. A little bit of controversy. A little bit of dancing. A few new ways to think about things.

Saw Robin after the show. We didn't really chat as she seemed to be chilling with other people. Went back. Hung out with Katie. Watched some Buffy and some Angel. Now to return to my Bible studies.

No comments: