hi

hi

Friday, July 10, 2009

I didn't loose them, I made them!

Finished Angel season one. It got a lot better near the end when it decided to have a story arc. I prefer Buffy but I hear the later seasons of Buffy get weird and the later seasons of Angel surpass Buffy in terms of awesome. Only time will tell.

In between Angel episodes, I went out and spent the day with Adam. We had fun.

First we went to his glass studio. There was a film crew nearby but we never found out what they were filming. Adam's studio is in the top floor of a warehouse by the Hawthorne Bridge on the other side of the river. He shares it with lots of glass workers. The staircase up is really spooky and awesome.

Adam showed me how to make marbles and mushrooms and pendants. Marbles require melting a glob of glass into a glob ball shape and then transferring it to a punty stick. Then you make it round by rounding the glob in a graphite based mold. It is a lot of dexterity and a lot of continual finger movement. A bit much for me. I managed to get a few "very good for your first try" comments though. I made a black reddish marble and then, with lots of help, made this spiral twisty one with cool colors. I didn't get burned.

After the two marbles, I learned how to make it look like a mushroom in a glob of glass. You shove a small stick of glass into a hot glob and push and push and then melt it to force the air out. Made one in blue and then made three in a new spun color. I curled over the loop to make it into a necklace. Go me! Afterwards Adam showed me the lathe thingy. I'd like to continue to make little things but I don't think I am cut out for glass work. It is a lot of hands on stuff that requires the ability to be steady.

The view from the studio is nice. A beautiful day without being too hot.

Calin (I think that was his name) was making a large marble so we went over to Tigard to check out the process. Tony and a lady (who has a name that was given to me but I can't recall it now) were hanging out there when we arrived. Calin's marble was more the size of a bocce ball. Huge chunk of solid glass. It took a while to set up and we left before we could see any real progress. The nice lady made a lady bug and some flower marbles. Adam picked some blueberries.

At around 8pm I was dropped off at the Goose and that completed my first day of glass adventures. I thought marbles would take less time to make but it was the introductory lesson. Adam says to call whenever and I can try more. Hmmn.

Tomorrow is Flicks on the Bricks. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I think I'll get there early and swing by cheese steak man for some nibbles. Can't wait!

No comments: