hi

hi

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

art! seeing lots of it!

Not much sleep again. This will do me no good.

Groggy start. Made some tea and put it in a jar with a lid and stuffed the remainder of the Raisin Bran in my bag with some supplies.

I was the only one to show up at the Illustration class. Daniela and I talked about art and composition and other things. It was nice just to bond. I like her hair. She added me to the list of artists to work with for this editorial class she is teaching. It is a practice in art direction. So the people in the class get to pick illustrators to art direct. A little free practice in a safe environment. I hope I get picked. I'm up against Dom, J, Karen, Melissa Dow, and Kim. Well not "up against" just there are more Illustrators than directors.

I picked up some books from the library during the break. Talked to Dom and Thom and Daniel (Haile, not Williams or Duford). Dom chilled for a little bit in the Illustration room. I forget what we talked about.

Daniela and I decided to spend the rest of class in the Portland Art Museum. The exhibits were PNCA at 100, an M.C. Escher dealy thing, and Sensitive Vision: The Prints of Beth Van Hoesen.

PNCA at 100: This was a collection of art from students and faculty of PNCA through its century of existence. PNCA used to be part of the Portland Art Museum. Success and fame are not the same thing. The names I recognized were the people who were still at school: Missal, Yoshi, Wyckoff. There were some pieces by names that Daniela told me were notorious but I wasn't too impressed. Still, damn some skilled people have come out of PNCA. Mostly paintings. I loved the painting by Sherrie Wolf "Peaches with Buffalo". It had a really beautiful sense of whimsy. I liked the exhibit but I felt it was missing some people. Arvie Smith for example.

Sensitive Vision: The Prints of Beth Van Hoesen
: Etchings galore! And with a wide variety of subject matter that smoothly transitioned from piece to piece. The people who set up the printing wing know their stuff. Started with nude figures and moved into animals and plants and then colored flowers. Street scenes, water scenes. Even a portrait of dear sweet Imogen Cunningham. So much work. Very prolific. Her drypoint skills were very much mastered. A tiny bee had as much consideration as a complex street in Greece. I need to return to see it though I may not get around to it.

Virtual Worlds: M.C. Escher and Paradox: Escher! Who doesn't love Escher? We arrived at this last and thus I was very worn out from the walking and wasn't quite feeling up to the close investigation of all the work. And there was a lot of work! They had the whole Creation series and oodles of the classic works in original print form! Amazing to behold the real solid black of a real printed Escher. Woodblock! What skill. For all that he is loved, it isn't enough. There was a room devoted to the entire process behind Rippled Surface. The sketches, the ripple layout, the transfers and overlays, the proofs, the two blocks used to color it and the magnificent final piece. There were more Escher blocks. There was the block for Snakes, which was one block that was repeated three times. Flawless registration. I had no idea. All the blocks had holes punched in them to prevent more editions from being printed. There was the full version of Metamorphosis III. 9 pieces of paper. I forget if the plaque said 50 or 30 blocks were used. I'm leaning towards 50 because that piece is long. Reproductions don't do him quite justice anymore.

Tired, Daniela and I parted our ways. I slumped into my chair and watched Angel. Dinner was something spicy on rice with chicken and garbanzo beans. Delicious of course.

Adam and I caught the 10:30 showing of Public Enemies. Johnny Depp stars in the story of John Dillinger. Directed by Michael Mann. I liked it all except for Mann's choice of using digital to film it. Sometimes it felt like you were on set and not watching a movie. It was very real and shaky. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not so much. But as a stylistic choice for making the reality of the situations feel solid and less theatrical, I say it worked. But it didn't feel like a period piece, well not so much anyway. A little bit but the modern flare of the film choice was distracting. Acting was good all around. Costumes, cars, guns. All neat. Bloody yes. Very much so.

We hung out for a little bit after but it was late and I need to try to sleep.

No comments: