hi

hi

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

dirty, grubby, oily, and blissed out

Long, hard day at school.

Fessed up that I was behind in the comic. But I have panels written so I have no excuse. I am going to change my format to mini posters versus a bound comic. Going to silk screen them. That way I can draw at a 1:1 scale and not have to worry about going to Kinko's or Lulu.com. Lacey has 1/3 of her comic done. She is doing three short stories and one is compleato. Amazing.

It was a work day in printmaking. My block was carved and mostly ready to go. I took a few more bits out, just to have more white areas. I did a quick run in red to see how I liked the amount of carving and that was that. Patrick and Devin were working on the letterpresses because they knew how to use them. Diana was working on a little owl image.

Comic Club was more silly jams. The pizza went quick even though there was the same number of people. If we see the midnight, Pioneer Place Watchmen showing we will get a slight reimbursement via our funds. Rock on! Have to get my ticket, ya.

Kirie sent me a birthday present. It was an adorable pen and pencil and postcard set from MoMa. I have been using the pens pretty much daily in my little sketchbook. They have an awesome line weight.

It took me an hour to get the ink the right color for printing. A bloody hour. Lots of white and red and yellow to get the right peach orange. I had a large pile of ink when I was done but after three and a half hours of printing it was just enough to cover it all. About on the 12th print, the sharpie started to get absorbed into the ink. No big thing as it will get covered up but still a little irksome. The ink peeled up really nice. It is very solid and smooth. I feel really good about this woodblock. The reductive style took a lot to wrap my head around but it is pretty neat. I only took a few minutes off for Tea Time. Talked to Madeline. Showed her what I was doing.

I finished up at around 5:20. 20 prints. Hope the registration works out. It doesn't quite match on the side for some reason so I'm just focusing on keeping it level with the top and the center mark.

I crashed in the library till 6:10. Talked to Matt a little. Dom came in with some goodies from the French Paper Company lecture that was going on. I dashed out to get some sweet posters from the table before they were all gone. Got myself a camel with a candy necklace poster and a monkey with a cherry for Karen. Got some sample books and some printed notebooks. Just a pile of awesome. Some people took one of each poster which I thought was greedy. Oh well.

Yoga was intense but I did really well. Got my palms on the floor, kept my balance, and even maintained some of the lunges. I didn't hear her switch poses until she pointed it out to me. The class had a little bit of a laugh, but we laugh at one another a lot. It's fine. It's yoga. We are all learning and clumsy.

I went back to the print lab after yoga and carved the skin out of the block. Now I can go straight into printing during my break tomorrow. Get to the halfway point with two weeks to spare.

I didn't get out of the building till 9. Called Mum and chatted. Then rode home and got all wet again. Stupid rain. I can't locate my rain pants either. Thus far I have been lucky getting to school. It isn't so bad if I can change when I get home.

Tea. Chili. Sleep.

No comments: