hi

hi

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

beauty and the bedraggled

No model showed up for class. For the first part we hung out in the Feldman Gallery and discussed the paintings there. Morgan didn't like them at all, said they were immature or something like that. I can kind of see what he means by that as they don't seem to have that deep of concepts but are executed really well. Morgan, not the teacher, was very vocal in his disapproval stating comments about low contrast and not being crisp. Then when we returned to class and some people put up their homework, his was low contrast and not crisp. Ha ha!

I registered. Right now I am signed up for five things but only 12 credits (the internship doesn't have any credit listed for whatever reason). I am taking: Illustration Studio I: Word + Image with Kurt Hollomon, Illustration Painting Techniques: Digital Media with Joseph Cross, Graphic Novel with Daniel Duford, and Beginning Mathematics with Shawn Cardwell. Also there is in the Internship but that needs to be sorted out ya.

Karen and I quickly whipped up some Comic Club posters. She did the lettering, I did the picture. It isn't too shabby for a poster I must say. The meeting is tomorrow but I can't make it as I am scheduled to work till noon. I told Taylor I won't be able to make it so he has to supply the paper and all that jazz.

History of Design held my interest! We are getting to some of the modern designers and some of the images presented were wonderful. Margaret passed around a copy of Idea Magazine, a Japanese publication devoted to type and type related things. I did do a little excitement hop for it. Wonderful piece of print! She likes my thesis so now the bar has been raised. Our final project is to do a homage to some piece of design, I'll probably do something from Beardsley or Gulbransson, those two are my boys.

The MFA's were gathering around free coffee and mix CDs. I grabbed a mix CD and chatted with Matt for a little bit. Student Council was mostly a conversation about clubs and I put in my two cents about having clubs take a more active role in formation before asking for money.

We moved on to nude modeling in painting. Hurray! And we had Anna for a model. Hurray hurray! I did two nice little paintings with colored backgrounds. I'm quite pleased with them even though they are not as smooth as I would like. I think I'll do the background different on the next set. Karen painting conjoined hair twins, Jen drew one sitting on the other (and looking fabulously anatomical), Lee did some more groupings, Erin from Alaska is trying out the fur while Erin the Bartender is trying out the lines, and Bryan made her look like a wood nymph of sorts. Or something, it looked cool. The first half of class was silent while the second half had some nerdy conversation about Spaced, Anonymous, and Scott Pilgrim. I asked Farel how he felt about being scheduled for 8am classed next semester and he didn't know that he had been scheduled that early. Like most days our conversation took some weird turns but it was a nice class. We take long breaks, as evidenced by my ability to post the picture before I had painted the second.

I left both a plastic bag AND my rain pants at home. It was raining through most of the day and my seat gave me bum quite the chill, which was nice considering how warm I got ontop with the jackets and weight of the bag keeping me insulated and steaming. I sloughed off my clothes and took a hot shower and now I'm just going to sink into bed. No work on homework tonight, I'm exhausted! I have most of tomorrow to ink so I'm not worried (I work another mark down shift and have Yoga in the evening which should provide a nice break).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you want our old scanner? We don't use it anymore. ~lp