hi

hi

Thursday, September 4, 2008

such a powerful noise

No naps today. Midday green tea is a huge help for that.

This lady in Morgan's class had her easel partially in my way the whole time. Well she was in the way. I couldn't move because it was crowded. She needed to move back more. It pays to get there really early (except I was there early and she was just being a cad!). We learned about how to set up our easels so that we saw both paper and model at the same time, how to stand, how to hold our implement, and how to realize 3D space. Morgan has a great way of dividing lecture and practice. Gestures were drawn as were longer poses. He says that practice makes habit, it doesn't make perfect. So you have to practice GOOD habits to get better. My figure drawings are not too shabby; I am falling into the work really well after the long break. My shading looks very soft.

Karen and I loitered about after class. I am loaning her some space in my locker till she finds her own (she has one, she just doesn't know where it is). I put the third season of The Wire on hold. I called Brynne to make sure we are still on for the Tea Zone tomorrow at 12:30. Saw Jim. Ate lots of free red vines. MMmm red vines. I stopped eating them for a while after I vomited up a large quantity of them after a boat ride. Now I like them again. Karen and I walked to Utrecht. Their watercolor blocks seem cheaper there but the people are still such jerks that I don't want to support them.

Eventually it was time for free lunch at PNCA. And by that I mean pizza at some meeting. This one was for the Global Studios programs.

I am officially stating that I will not be going to Hogeschool Sint-Lukas in Brussels, Belgium as part of my education at PNCA. I would have to find my own place to live (and pay for it), the city is nice but it didn't really strike my fancy, the school seemed great and while I think I could manage to self motivate, I like the class environment and don't know how I would feel in a foreign studio, not just yet anyway, and the language barrier is an extreme challenge. I will, however, ask about the programs where you go somewhere in the USA or Canada for a semester. Same deal (pay PNCA tuition) just somewhere else. Yeah!

After being fed on pizza I went home and indulged in my secret shame for an hour (I won't say what it is, but it is bad).

Then it was time for fun fun painting techniques. On the way there I rode along side Karen when I saw her migrating to school. I left her at Burnside. Farel gave a lecture on scanning. He showed us some beautiful children's books illustrated by Lizbeth Zwerger. We painted some still life's for a start and after break we were allowed to work on whatever so I added a little to that diptych I've been working on. I treated myself to an ice cream during break. Our first assignment is to design a CD cover. The band can be made up. We are to do 10 thumbnails and 3 larger sketches by Tuesday. Also we are doing a self portrait.

Farel asked if we are seeing anything during First Thursday and I said, "Yes, there is a great show at Tender Loving Empire, I'm going to see that." Or something, that isn't quite right. He asked who was the artist and we giggled and indicated Miss Jen Lee. She is so bashful, except not. Karen also has a show in the library. Everyone is having shows!

After class was over there was the First Thursday hullabaloo to experience. There were doughnuts in the Yes Men exhibit so I went to see that. Ran into Matt and Jason. Chatted with Jen while she waited for Noel (who is all mohawked now). Then I chatted with Karen while she waited for Adam. When there was no one else to wait with I headed up to Tender Loving Empire to see Jen's show. The sun was right in my eyes as I strolled up Lovejoy. Ran into Jason and Craig and chatted about good movies and the summer. While Jason's hair has gotten longer, Craig's has lost considerable length. When Jen showed up I gave her a big hug. Her pieces look nice. They play well off of Aidan's which play well off of the other woman in the show. Jen's work is line heavy, Aidan's is line and color swatches, and the other lady is mostly swatches. It is a great show.

When I went to PNCA to retrieve my bike, this guy giving out free compliments was in front of it. He said, "Oh am I blocking your bike?" and scooted about five inches forward. It was a great struggle to free my bike without injuring him. He couldn't be bothered to stand? The crowd was thick but I did break free and get home safely.

I started in with my initial ideas in terms of thumbnails. I'll flip through some art books and see if any more things pop into my head. I think right now I am being heavily influenced by the crap women's mags and pulpy men's mag illustrations.

In the morning I wore clunky shoes but I changed into the sharp leather shoes that I got from Celia so I could rock the First Thursday scene. I love those shoes and the noise they make when I walk.

No comments: