hi

hi

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

...and he's my teacher!

So I came home at about 6:15, ate some soup and then took a great nap. I am wiped out. You can tell I am tired because I am blogging at 9:00pm instead of midnight. Blimey. Well, let's start at the start.

The Figure with Morgan Walker:

Diana is in my class even though she hasn't taken any of the 200 level drawing classes. What? She is talented sure but still, eh? Silly me, I brought drawing supplies but no big paper. We had two models today and drew. He found a pad of paper to share between us. I have not been with the figure in a while so I was out of shape. I just tried to have fun. Lindsay, Daniel's girl, is in my class. Terry, Natalie, and Lacey are there as well. It is half and half people that are familiar and people that are not. He gave us a lecture on isotropic perspective (or something), assigned some homework, gave us a little lesson on figures, and we talked about the final project a little. Karen is in my class but she called me sounding all sick like so I collected an extra syllabus for her. We used up all the time and I am looking forward to more. I just have to lug my drawing board to school.

History of Graphic Design with Margaret Richardson:

Jen, Charley, and Daniel are in my class. The legendary Chevelle Supersport is in it as well and a few others I am familiar with. The professor gave us her life story for the first hour and let us out to lunch early. I waited a long long time in the locker line. I like Meaghan but she was going super slow. The pizza line was quick. After lunch we listened to some people that are a part of TBA speak. This guy was talking about his movie that he made. It is playing but as he talked it became more and more complicated and all over the place. The people were not that exciting to listen to though, too many artistic buzzwords like "process" "reconfiguring unfound objects" and the like. It is a bit much to listen to.

Between classes I ran into Bekka, who I went to the pre-college program at PNCA with back in 2006. We hugged and exchanged numbers. We are in the studio together. We are so going to rock that! Karen showed up when I was talking to her. She looked sick but healthy enough to get to school. I had to swing by my locker and she joined me. Mel is in a design class with 4 people, but one of them is Jim so that should be cool.

Illustration Painting Techniques II with Farel Dalrymple.

Do you see who is teaching my class? DO YOU SEE? When I came in and same him, he was instantly familiar and when he brought out samples of his work I was beyond ecstatic. I've seen his show at Floating World Comics! I own one of his comics! He is amazing and he is going to be my teacher! And it looks like the class will have a lot of honing what you want to hone and applying it towards are you want to do. Which seems perfect for me. He will also show us how to scan and alter our work with the computer. He hasn't taught before but I think he knows enough about variety and skill that he will be able to help us (all nine of us: Bryan, Karen, Alaska Erin, Bartender Erin, Jen, Amina, Lee, James, and myself). It will be a great class I suspect. Very tight knit and focused. He gave a little demonstration of how he paints and let us off early if we wanted to. I hung back and chatted with him. I didn't mention I'm a fan but by the huge stars in my eyes he probably figured it out.

During lunch there was a performance by Reggie Watts.

He gave us a little speech about how awesome we are and some advice. He sang and answered questions. His hair is huge. His music is pretty much all his own vocals recorded in looped. He improvises a large number of it and I was stunned by how easily he got it to flow together. It was a wonderful thing to have on the first day of school. Jumping right in.

Afterward school I went to PSU to pick up my textbooks for History of Design. Together they came in at under $30!! And they look reasonable as well. And for Science Friction I only need to buy two books as I already have Watchmen, Sandman, The Man in the High Castle, and The Handmaid's Tale.

On the way up the hill my feet slid off my bike pedals when I was pedaling standing up. I didn't fall off the bike but I did fall on it. I feel bruised and sore in a place I don't want to be bruised and sore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. It sounds like you were successful getting good classes.
Sorry about the bike pedals. I had pedal clips for my feet on my 10-speed but unfortunately when I stopped my feet would get stuck and I'd just fall over. It was embarrasing but after a few times I got used to it.

JS