hi

hi

Friday, September 19, 2008

massive pollo

I only drifted genuinely off once today, and that was during the Goya documentary near the end of illustration. It was interesting but I just couldn't keep vertical. Didn't help that the room was really warm. My schedule for next week seems pretty light. I only have to watch and respond to Bladerunner and an interview with Ridley Scott, painting homework is light, figure drawing just has one thing that seems really fun, history of design reading of course, but that is light, and I think that is it. Last week was a tough one.

Two things were brought up in the discussion of Frankenstein: is Victor a homosexual and did he really create the "monster"? He really didn't care or pay much mind to women and he made a man that was intended to be big and beautiful. Also, the only people who saw his work ended up dead so it is possible that he cracked under the isolation and madness and starting doing people in himself. It is a very modern twist, if you consider that is the case with the book.

We critiqued our compositions in Illustration. I critiqued Tabor's, who had very dynamic compositions that had a lot of thought for the words (Bamboozled, Jubilation, and Malaise). We all picked someone else's compositions to write about and then decided which one they would work with for their final. Like a real illustration assignment. Some people were more decided on the quibbles in the compositions and others didn't seem like they knew what to say. A lot of the Jubilation (including my own) fell to star bursts and lots of excitement and Malaise featured sort of drippy, oozy things. I tried to focus on tension with Malaise. Bamboozled had most of us confused.

Chad started talking about burritos and it ended up that four of us went to Cha Cha Cha for lunch. Tabor, Sivonna(I have previously misspelled her named as Savannah), and I walked there and Kevin was not far behind. I had the chicken burrito. I could have finished it but that would have been too gluttonous a move. I need to get in the habit of packing lunches. And figuring out how to make filling ones as well. Any advice?

It was a nice lunch, there is such a hidden variety of people at PNCA.

We practiced with dip pens in class. I couldn't find a smaller container for my nibs so I just grabbed the old Speedball set that mom passed down to me. When I was looking through it, I noticed that there were about eight more nibs under the paperwork. Such a large number and variety! Most were on the rusty side but I found they worked with the best of them (if not better, one held ink for many many lines). Hey mom, how old are they? I couldn't find a date anywhere. I impressed Chad and Bekka with them, now I just need to apply it to art and real products. I'm loving learning all these new mediums and techniques. Like I said, I dozed off during the latter part of the Goya video.

I pretty much slumped into bed the instant I got home and slept for a very nice two hours. Then I watched The Wire and worked on my collage book. I'm cutting out the pictures I like from magazines and putting them in sleeves in a binder. Sort of a go-to sample for color, composition, faces, suits, etc. I only have a couple magazines to go and then I'm done with that for a while. It's a nice low impact project. Tomorrow I plan to read and paint. Need to work on getting ahead and getting on top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lunch - powdered stuff to put in bottled water (electrolyte - Emergen C), Bagle, Cheese, Apple, Boiled chicken egg.

JS