hi

hi

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

what a bore (and then: fun!)

I think this is the first Tuesday where I am not saying MAN OH MAN I AM TIRED!! I got a restful night sleep, I went to class confident in all my work, and was being the awesome student that I am.

The model for my drawing class up and left for Seattle so we had to call in an emergency one. While waiting we reviewed our homework and talked about how to make installation more interesting (hint: water surprises). The model was only there for an hour and during that time we did a figure study and then we were told not to do shading because it shows that you have given up on the proportion. So we did a solely proportion drawing. Mine looked pretty good. I am improving so much. I am even finding myself able to doodle figures in no time at all thanks to Morgan's teachings. Whoo!!

Saw Lindsay between classes. Renewed The Wire. Returned my Shepard Fairey and Lucian Freud art books (down to just eight items now).

History of Design is a waste. I don't know why I bother doing the reading if we don't even get to discussing the first chapter. Well maybe it isn't a waste learning what led to the desire for design but if only I could decipher from her lectures what is a tangent and what is the actual lesson. It is all over the place and she keeps lecturing from websites. She did talk a little about William Morris, so I guess next class we will get into Victorian Design. But still, this is the THIRD class. I like things a little more structured. At least I am learning something from the awesome texts she assigned. Daniel, Jen, and I just spent the class drawing in our sketchbooks. Jen drew these phenomenal eyes from references copies. That girl, dang. Textures and value flow from her. Daniel was also doing lovely graphic drawings. Mine were more along the lines of self portraits. As in, me slumped over my desk, bored. Me leaning against a wall, bored. People sitting in chairs, bored. I also took notes when it seemed like she was actually talking about something relevant. This class better pick up or else...or else I'll spend more time reading and paying attention to the texts!

Lunch was squash enchiladas provided by the Student Council. There was much debate over why the Blazers game didn't pass. One woman went on a long rant about how she thinks sports are evil, don't promote good values, are not artistic, these people are payed too much for nothing, and some other things. Diana's job as facilitator is also in contest by Sohkuhn. Next meeting we vote who we want to facilitate. Clubs were discussed, enchiladas were consumed, my tube was returned to me, and before we knew it, it was time to return to class!

I mostly finished my CD Cover design in class. I think it has nice bold, bright colors and a good mix between solids and values. It will be interesting to put it up in critique. Also worked on some other painting pieces, including filling in the rest of the Powell's people. My observational homework went over well. I think I will have to do more of that. I loved the style and when I get off my bum, I will get around to scanning some of the work I am talking about. Our new homework assignment is to take a screenshot from a movie and to paint it in grayscale and then paint it in grayscale with a single color. Or was it to do solid black and white? Uhh. Probably grayscale. I'm loving this class. I love the homework and how it is always changing from week to week. And everyone else gets to work fully in the style that suits them best so all the variety is showing to its fullest. Even Farel does the assignments along with us, a sign of a good teacher.

Karen was home sick so I had to report some of the days happening to her. As I was talking, our smoke alarm went off so I had to cut the conversation short. Cecine has discovered just how sensitive those alarms can be. I made a little MSPaint tutorial for dad. I finished my painting when I got home so now I have no homework for Thursday. Go Trillian. So tomorrow I have plenty of time for my Friday homework (reading and drawing).

No comments: