hi

hi

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

fiddy panels


All my pages are planned out. All the panel layouts. 50 panels over 7 pages. 39 of which have a rough sketch for what will be contained/narration to go along with it. This is the hard part, after this is just sketching and inking it. I finished my comic page in about a night and that was 23 panels. I'm just doing about twice that with barely more detail.

Worked more on my website. Couldn't add much too it besides an influences page. I left my resume and extra image files at home (I'll remember to bring them this Thursday). Class went quick. Gordon and Ric had a tiff about the value of teaching us iWeb. Poor Gordon, even though he could totally own Ric in a fight. I do think that I would have liked more Illustrator and Photoshop projects but any Mac practice is good practice. I guess.

In Drawing Arvie told us to go out into the school and draw something from observation. Anything we wanted and spend three hours on it. I did not want to do this. The school has messed up architecture anyway so it is difficult to draw with the perspective tools we have been taught. I had to find a way to make this project fun.

I drew Jim sitting in the student lounge up until he moved and so I smeared out the charcoal drawing and drew Kat instead. It didn't look great so I smeared that. Then I layered another drawing of Jim (moves around so much) over that and then he left to work on a paper. At around this point I decided to just layer drawings over one another. I drew Kat a few more times, Evan sitting and working on his drawing, the microwave, the hall across the commons, the couch, the ceiling, and the railing. Lots of charcoal drawings over one another. Then it was time for lunch.

Kat and I went to Yoga Pearl, which was a very cold brisk walk down to Davis. I'm okay with Vegan food as long as it tastes good and my Mexican hot chocolate, brown rice and corn bread was DELICIOUS! Well worth the walk. Really warmed me up after the walk. Portland is really cold now. Like, I don't care if I look like a mugger I am going to buy a face covering ski-mask because it is so cold, cold. I sure hope Santa leaves me some long johns under the tree for me this year.

After lunch I didn't really want to add more black charcoal so I went back to the class room and drew it as well as Michael, Eva and Mel. For this I used white conte over the charcoal. When I had reached this point was when Arvie first saw it. I explained it to him as "well you told us to draw something from observation, you didn't say just one thing" he grinned at me and told me it was looking great. For the final part I went down into the commons and with the edge of a red conte I did a line drawing of the main stairwell and wall. The whole piece came together in that "it is abstract but there is still thought to the form and lines and still sort of cool how you can make out the different bits" sort of way. I'm really pleased with it and even sprayed it. I hardly ever spray my drawings.

Michael and Eva did self portraits. Kat drew someone on a couch. Tess drew Kat. Mel drew a toilet. Evan drew the student lounge. Danny drew the pool table. Sara drew the exercise bike/installation. Nell drew the student lounge from the commons. Alex drew a chair. Cool the variety that came from the open assignment.

Arvie said to me "some people say why, others say why not. good job Trillian." and he patted me on the back. Yay! I've really enjoyed having him as a teacher. He is going to Africa for the winter (90 degree weather, how ever will he survive) and so this was the last class he is teaching (we are having a sub for the last three days). While painting was not a requirement I'm still sad that I'm not going to have him again.

Pedaled as fast as I could home. My scarf was bundled tight against my face and my hands were nice and cozy in my gloves. Nothing was protecting my thighs and they became sufficiently numb upon my return. Watched Saved and worked on my thumbnails. Brandon came over and Lindsay made us all dinner (she is awesome) and they watched Saved and for whatever reason I joined them. So yeah, Saved twice in one night. Great movie so I'm not really complaining.

No comments: