hi

hi

Monday, June 7, 2010

east of the cascades, west of the border - part one

SUNDAY

Got up. Got packing. Slept through most of the heavy duty stuff. Mom and Dad were fine doing that on their own. Packed a lot of shorts and my swim suit, but put on pants and a sweater just in case. I’ve almost learned my camping lesson: always bring coats. Mom brought extra jackets as well.

At 11ish we took off. Noon we left Silverdale. It was a mellow trip. I don’t quite remember the last time I crossed the Rockies. It was a long and winding road. Lots of pretty trees and chunks of ice. Mom and I played Go Fish and tried to figure out Five Alive.

We stopped by the Leavenworth Safeway for some missing items. Leavenworth is this Bavarian inspired town. Everything has the same font and it is cute in a tourist sort of way. Mom bought me pudding cups! One thing I love about camping is the food. It is just a great excuse to eat a little worse than usual and in beautiful settings.

Our camping spot on Lake Wenatchee is pretty nice. It is a wood view, not a lake view. I ran to the top of the little hill and there were some deer on the other side. They ran in the other direction, as deer do.

I made a fire in the fire pit. A nice fire too. Dinner was these turkey medallions with steamed veggies and corn and potatoes and salad. Mmmm! Lots of food. I accidentally poured too much dressing on the salad. Thought it had a small hole instead of just an open bottle, you know.

After dinner we went on a bike ride. I’m not a fan of mom’s electric bikes. The seats at their lowest are still too high, and they are so heavy you have to rely on the motor to go uphill. Also, when the terrain isn’t good, it wears down the battery really fast. We did a little lake loop. There was mulch all over the trail so it was very hard to push through. Still, the lake was pretty.

I spun a little too fast on a tire at a playground.

We all returned to the camper as it started to lightly rain. I made a couple s’mores. Mmm. Time to go to bed. We might move farther East in search of warmth.

MONDAY

Took me a while to get started, as per usual. Pancakes and bacon and hot cocoa for breakfast! We sat outside for a bit, enjoying the morning sun. Mom and I took a little hike to gather some plant samples. After a little bike ride, it was time to pack up and drive further east.

My job was to fill the water tank with the hose. Probably the best job as all I had to do was stand there with the hose. No heavy lifting or anything. Got my pants rather wet though. Oh well.

We went back to Leavenworth. Took a hike along a path, which ended up taking us further out that we expected. It wasn’t that much of a trek back into town, but we complained none the less. I had some fun on a play ground. We decided to get a bratwurst for lunch. The guy at the place was brand new and it took about 20 minutes to get us our food. As my yoga teacher Fawn says, when we are being inconvenienced, most of the time we are just being asked to slow down. It was a big good sausage that made for a good meal. We wandered around the tourist traps. There were some goats on the side of the path, in a fenced hill area next to a golf course. I picked up a wedding present for Harmony and Peter. And some taffy! There was a great hat shop as well. Tired of that, we got in our camper and road out into the sun.

Smallwood’s was a destination of mom’s picking and it had an amazing friendly kitty named Katie. It was big and fluffy and infinitely friendly. Mom picked up some food and honey and other things. There was a folder holder thing with tons of old fruit labels; you know the kind that go on boxes? But they were loose and a buck a piece, so we picked up a few. I really liked the Triton Washington Evaporated Pears one. Too bad we couldn’t buy the cat. Ma and I posed with some of the face hole boards.

Then another two or so hours on the road. I napped a little bit. It was quite warm. The scenery is quite beautiful. Lots of hills and trees but dry and snug warm. We arrived at Soap Lake. The first place was a tiny RV lot with nothing special. We drove on to the other RV spot, which had a pool and hot tub and minigolf and better lake access. So we pulled into a spot and set up. Not yet hungry, we swam in the pool and then the hot tub. The wind died down so we took a chance on the lake. It was quite muddy, but apparently the lake is known for its healing mud. We swum about a little bit and tried to float. We scrubbed our limbs with sulphur smelling mud and then washed it off. Shower time! Finally washed my hair. It was getting gross.

Dinner was tortellini and burger and broccoli. Yum!

This place has wifi; the next place might not, so again: see you Wednesday!

No comments: