hi

hi

Friday, May 7, 2010

the best (silver!)

Friday:

Best day I have had in a long while. Just feel great. Revitalized!

Morgan had the sketchbook zine in hand when I showed up to class today. He held it up to show to everyone and said that this was...I forget the exact word he used but something that implied beyond A plus plus work. He also said that he wished I would stick around at PNCA and do the same thing for every Focus Week.

After my great day, I came home and blogged and in the process, my computer became encrusted with spyware. This happened while I was blogging so the above is the only part that was written before I was prevented from posting. Damn. Well I'll try to write it all up again. It was a busy day. Now back to figure drawing:

Last ink day. I had a large leftover sheet of paper from a prior drawing project, a nice toothy yellow sheet. So I drew all my figures on that. But before we got to drawing, we had to seek our revenge on the audio class. We share a wall with an audio class and they constantly soak our class with their work, which is quite distracting. So we massed in a little figure drawing choir and in unison, we projected the Flintsones theme song at their wall. Ha! Brilliant.

Then it was time for ink drawing. Morgan read to us an essay about Cubism by Jon Berger. Quite fascinating to actually put art in context, as opposed to just learning about the pieces.

Illustration was an open work day. It started with Martin thanking us for the artistic energy we have had this semester. He left for a few minutes to sort something out. In his absence, Beth whipped out some ice cream from Ben & Jerry's. Delicious! We love Beth. Martin loved the ice cream.

My letter shapes got a good review. I totally messed up inking the picture of Guy Pearce though. It looks ugly and...sloppy. But I still used it for a rough composition. I was having trouble making it look like the image in my head. Now I'm not quite sure what that image was...

After class, we went to Yur's for a little pre-First Thursday drinking. Just beer and friends. Danny, Leo, BT, Karen, Josh, Janessa, Jon, and Dom namely. And a few MFA's and their friends occupied another table. I wonder if PNCA students constitute half of Yur's revenue? Every time I am there, we tend to dominate. BT gave me a drawing. A wonderful drawing of Hercule Poirot! A few months ago he revealed to me that his mustache was fake. It broke my heart! In the drawing, Hercule is saying "It's always been real for you Trillian xoxo Hercule Poirot". Love it!

Karen got Danny to draw her a sandwich.

Josh, Janessa, Jon and I wandered down to the 13th Street First Thursday booths. Mostly overpriced knick knacks and large ugly sculptures. Then it was time for the Illustration Juried Show!

There was free cheese and crackers and wine! Whoo! The show looks pretty good. A lot of variety. You can really see how different and varied we all are. Martin mentioned earlier today he will be showing our portfolios to some higher ups at companies. Exciting.

The winners of the Juried Show were announcer. Winners were picked by the Jury.
Bronze- Sally Jablonsky
Silver- Trillian Spencer
Gold- Kevin McClain

That is right. I won silver. 300 entries, 50 picked for the show, and I was SECOND! SILVER! WHOOO YEAAHHH! The prize was cold hard cash. Nice!

Janessa and I went to Life of Riley afterwards. I had a soda because I wasn't ready to drink more. Josh showed up and said he saw a ghost in the bathroom. He said he saw someone enter the bathroom and he followed and then there was no one in the bathroom... probably a secret agent.

Cupcake also showed up, I don't know her real name, well I do but I just prefer Cupcake. Anyway, we wandered over to Everett Street to check out that stuff. I got separated from the crew when I locked up my bike, but I found them outside Igloo. Craig Wheat and his lady Olivia were also there. Craig had a piece in the igloo show, but the place was packed and it was impossible to see any of the art. Booo!

I wandered with my friends and wandered straight into a strip club with them. Cupcake, Sean Carney, Olivia, Craig, Josh, Janessa... the place was called Magic Garden. I broke a little of my prize money on a drink. Spent most of the time catching up with Craig and talking about how good friends don't care if you haven't really talked in a few months. Also talked to Olivia about tattoos. I've been thinking about getting ink a little bit lately. I think a Patsy Gelb designed great blue heron would make a good one. Hmmmn. But I need more of my own money, and I just don't have enough of my own money to get one. But yeah, it was fun. Also one my classmates turned out to be a stripper! I won't name her name, but she isn't illustration. After one of her sets, she saw me and waved and came over and I commented that it was nice to see all of her tattoos. Turns out one of her good friends Craig knows...from Montana. It is a really small world, as it turns out. Or maybe just small for artists. Ha.

Lots of fun. At 11 I parted, got my bike, and road back to Life of Riley and caught BT and Karen right as they were finishing up their dinner.

Walked Karen back to her car and then rode off to Pionner Place to see Iron Man 2! The ending was a little anti-climactic, but the effects and characters were good. It was quite funny. Scarlett Johansson was very attractive in her little outfits, though a little on the thin side. Kicked a lot of butt she did. But yeah, it was good just not great. Very much a middle movie, and not all that stand alone.

Today was great. The weather was also fantastic. Got home at around 2:45am. Went to bed at 3:30 after blogging which ended up being unbloggable. Woke up at 4:30pm...

Saturday:

Woke up really late, so I got right to work. Painted my puppet head. Started to tidy up.

My computer was infected with spyware, but thankfully only the Marvin account was unusable. On the Arthur Dent account I was able to download a spyware remover and clean my computer. Nathan helped.

Did laundry.

Jay Lee is going to come over in a few, we are going to get food. I'll update again in the night time, I just wanted to get last nights happenings written up. Whoo!

Update!

Jay came over and we went to Thai Chili Jam, the nearby Thai food place. I had the something something something noodles and Jay had the pad thai. Mine was sooo delicious. Perfect meal to have after not eating a lot for such a long time. Got totally stuffed. In return for the meal, I mended her pants! She needed some patch work done and she thought of me and my sewing abilities. So I looked up a video online of how to patch, I practiced on a pair of my own jeans, and then did hers. And they look great! Legitimately patched up! Whoo! She had to catch the bus at 11:30 so she took off a little early.

I watched the new episode of Community. It was so good, I watched it twice. Yall should watch it, it is on Hulu.

Tomorrow morning I go to Fabric Depot with Karen to get fabric, and then I draw draw draw because I am way behind in draw draw drawing.

No comments: