hi

hi

Saturday, February 7, 2009

support Laika!

I wrote up an outline and a synopsis of my comic. Now that I have that, I have a clear place to go and it is more sure how it will turn out. That will be done tomorrow. As well as probably my taxes and FAFSA. I'm behind and soon mom will start yelling at me about it.

Around five, J called me and said she and Karen were meeting at the Annex for drinks and that I should join them. So I did. The Annex is a place that is located on Burnside and where a street diagonals into Burnside and vanishes. It is a triangular and narrow establishment. Pretty nice and has some great decoration. J and Karen were dining outside as I approached. I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea. Simple and easy. We hung out for an hour and then it was time to go see Coraline!

J messaged the manager (she used to work there) to see if it was really busy and the manager said that she could get Jen and us in for free if we were sneaky enough. Apparently the main manager is a jerk. Free movie! Madeline gave me a Regal gift card for my birthday so I used it to get popcorn and a drink. A Diet Coke because I knew I'd be sharing with my girls and that is all that they drink.

Coraline was wonderful. The animation was flawless and the music was phenomenal. The story wasn't so different from what I remember so I wasn't like, "Oh man I can't believe they changed that!!" It was a little scary but nothing more than Harry Potter. Very creepy and the voices fit. Wonderful, beautiful little creation. I hope it does well because the studio, Laika, does great work and I wish the best for them. Support Portland's Laika!

We went to another bar after the movie. It was like a bar/club. It was called the Red Hat or the Red Legion or the Red Something. A J sort of place (if you know what I mean). It was rather empty so we just grabbed a spot at the bar and chatted. I didn't know what to order to I asked the bartender to make me something sweet and he did. The next drink (which was a long while after the first, I'm not a fast drinker by any means and I see that as a good thing) was called an Otter Pop. It was blue and big and lovely. It was a really fun night overall. We chilled as the place filled and talked and joked and I got all cozy and relaxed. We got a late meal from Roxy's and grabbed the streetcar to our part of town. Karen and I walked back to the Goose from our stop and J continued on past PSU.

The rest of the night was spent with a glass of water, a blanket, and the Internet. It was fun. I liked going out with Karen and J. They are good persons.

Go see Coraline. It has French & Saunders and Ian McShane voices a cat.

No comments: