hi

hi

Thursday, April 24, 2008

REFRIDGERON - DISASSEMBLE!


I met Nicholas Gurewitch, the creator of Perry Bible Fellowship. He was doing a signing at Floating World Comics so I stopped by. He signed my copy of The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories. We chatted a little but I was really jittery and starstruck. Waaah! So exciting. He dug my name and my bike helmet and was eager to show me the hidden 42's in his work. Tee hee. When I asked about taking a photo with him, he asked if he could wear my helmet. Hee hee. I love his work so much. He was sweet, more soft spoken than I thought. I'll see him again at Stumptown. Maybe then I will have calmed down.

Critique went smoothly. As in it was a pretty recognized fact that my big blue mess wasn't all that successful. But I had my little drawings up as well so some nice dialogue was started. Sara called my work "Illustrator-y" and "conventional". As in, drawing figures in outlines and with washes is conventional. Seemed like she was suggesting I find a whole new way of drawing figures. Uhm okay? Modou said it was more classical than conventional, which I took as a compliment but it sort of wasn't? I guess maybe because I wasn't being Avant Garde or "new" with how I presented them? Eh I don't really care. My critiques have never really been in depth into the structure of them and Sara always mentions something about it being hard to critique my work because I am an Illustrator. I think she doesn't like Illustrators. Well, if she likes my work then I might actually be worried about it. She can be closed minded. That's okay. She can keep to her highly conceptual work that is just a big mess of cute and I'll keep to my comics.

Ibanez and I took a three hour nap when I got home.

Painting was a brief critique of our final pieces thus far. I don't think I will tweak the one of Llyw until I get everything done. If I try to make it as good as Robin's and then the next ones blow Robin's out of the water then I'll have to do more reworking. I'll just see where they are when I get the portraits done.

Didn't get much time to rest at home before going to Floating World Comics. Due to the amount of bike riding I have done today, my hair is so wind blown and cool looking. I finished my little report on Neil Gaiman for Comic Lit tomorrow. Now I am going to make myself some dinner, try and digest as much From Hell as possible, and then write about it. If it wasn't for the nap, I would be so dead right now.

Tomorrow I have my presentation and work. After work I might print, just to get it out of the way early. Saturday is Stumptown Comics Fest. Then it is Sunday and next week is Spring Focus Week. In two weeks time I have to: paint two portraits, draw up more comic pages then I would like to admit to, paint something for Art History, and finish up my printing. Focus week is the cram week. And by cram I mean hunched over drawing and painting and printing week.

No comments: