hi

hi

Saturday, November 3, 2007

no drawn out artsy movies for me tonight

The art film night was cancelled last night due to poor planning but that enabled me to see the Larry Rinder talk. Overall it was largely uninformative. He curated a show in Portland about graduates from California College of Art and Crafts(or Design, some Cali school) and what they are doing years from their graduation. He only picked 10 out of thousands of artists and at first I didn't really see the point about talking to an art school about how great their art school is and their artists. Actually, of all the artists shown he said that none of them were making a living from their art. Ha!

Well part of the point of the show and talk was to assess if they would have been capable of doing this work without art school. The consensus was "I don't know". They (the artists) said the school gave them a great community and discipline. I was not fond of how Larry Rinder said that any bright piece was "cartoony" or "comic-ish" something like that. Like somehow you can't separate bright art from childish connotations.

After the talk Gavin and I walked back to Goose Hollow and hung about and chatted about art. Lindsay and Brandon made their delicious meat/corn/cheese/tater tot concoction again and we gobbled it up while watching The Darwin Awards. The movie was surprisingly funny and endearing. Gavin started drawing on my arm and got carried away; carried away past when the last bus home left. So he ended up crashing here.

Earlier in the day, work was mostly uneventful except for when I accidentally locked myself out of the supply closet. The past few Friday's there have been next to no MFA's upstairs and now it seemed like they all were there. Guess they have something due on Monday.

I'm rather excited for today. Have my first ever blind date! His name is Adam.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I think nice post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to review the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I think the list inform should prepare more info then it has.