hi

hi

Thursday, September 20, 2007

jarMOOCH

Sean and I were watching Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man starring Johnny Depp. After what appeared to be something happening we turned it off. Oh wow after looking him up he did Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. I love that movie. Anyway, yeah we just couldn't stand it. The black and white seemed weird, like it is filmed in color and then made black and white. It had amazing actors but how they were directed was just sort of...odd. So anyone who has seen this movie, does it get better after Johnny Depp is revived by the "Native American" and a hit is put on him? Well not really a hit, well maybe a hit. I forget. It was so artsy that we couldn't distract ourselves by making fun of it, we felt we had to pay attention in case something happened. And when something happened we still were under-whelmed. Some fancy name is attached to it, it must be good! Reading reviews of it I kind of want to give it a second shot, we really were not in the mood for "art" movies.

So we watched The Condemned instead. Which was HORRIBLE but at least we could make fun of it the whole way through. Wouldn't recommend it. To anyone. At all, for any reason. Never thought I would turn off Johnny Depp for Vinnie Jones.

Digital Tools was hard, trying to get pictures that emphasize foreground and background..well sections of pictures and it is supposed to be black and white and abstract. Uhg. Didn't finish, isn't due until Tuesday so I will be putting in some lab time. Read some of Jim Hill's comic that he is working on; Fiasco. He has a very good comic name, Karen's full name is already a comic book name. She will have to change it.

Rode down 14th again, really easy and I can cross at a crosswalk simple enough when the bike lane disappears. Though I was on the right side and I had a green light and a car was pulling closer and closer to me and I realised they were turning, so I had to break. I think a bike lane is treated as a lane...you don't push cars out of a lane to turn, well not legally. And it was a mother with (I assume) her kids with her who almost got me. Grrr!

he first part of Drawing was spent critiquing our tree drawings. They really likes my tree, it looked as if it was blowing in the wind (apparently). Did myself real proud. Lots of good trees. So far there isn't a ban on "I Like..." yet, there will be.

Mel and I went to Tea Zone for some tea. I had this bamboo shoot flower tea (something like that) and it was really tasty but my tongue is still burned.

Then we did still life's with graphite with emphasis on the negative space. Really boring, how can we go from models and trees to cones and spheres?

Bought my film for class and pedalled home. Really bored, decided to make cookies before going over and watching Dead Man (thought it would be fun, cookies and Depp). Somewhere I failed in making the cookies, could have been some ingredient I added too much/too little or the cooking heat/time was off. They were crispy and just rather bad. Oh well, better luck next time. Tomorrow I'll make a loaf of bread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Ghost Dog. That's a pretty cool movie I guess.

I think Dead Man was on IFC ages ago. I could never really get into it.

Packing things up tonight, so if I don't answer the e-mails for a while that's why!

Sujewa Ekanayake said...

Dead Man was good in the movie theater - maybe the epic presentation allowed me to get lost in that world more easily. Definitely need patience for some Jarmusch movies; often worth it. Check out Mystery Train if you get a chance.

It does get better after Depp's character William Blake (i think that was his name) is revived by Nobody/gary farmer (the native american dude).

Definitely a weird movie; but good weird. Specially the scenes/visuals of the native am villages, and the hunt for Blake/depp.

- Sujewa