hi

hi

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

same old, and not the same

Decent enough critique. My work needed some work. Some stuff was good, some stuff was bad. Same old.

Had Quizno's for lunch. Did reading response. Same old.

After lunch we split in half again and read our short stories out loud. Danny had some lovely mood language, Cassi's was long but had some great descriptions of a punching bag, Bryan's had it's usual charm, Robyn's had me thinking of Lutefisk, and Nicole's blew us all out of the water. She had voices and it was just lovely and a joy to listen to. She was shy so we all turned our backs to her while she read, and she knocked it out of the park.

Mine was fairly well received. The main comment was that it needed a little more, but in general they dug it.

We took a break. I photocopied my Lynch and turned it into a silk screen transfer. Unfortunately all the woodblock/silk screen classes have become silk screen (they do one technique up until midterm and then switch). Now the studio will have more people in it, and if I want to print I will have to wait till after 5.

After break, we learned about flash fiction. That is what we are doing next. Easy enough in appearance. We were all handed different ones to read and mine was from the point of view of someone with dementia. I didn't know how terrified I was of it, until I read that story. It really disturbed me and that feeling stuck.

Then I put emulsion on my screen and worked on making the other Lynch transfers. A razor was bumped in the drying room and it slashed my screen. By that I mean, the taught screen was torn from top to bottom rendering the screen useless until it becomes re-stretched. Thankfully I have two backup screens (and the one that was busted was the less favored of my larger ones). Still, that sucks. Oh well. Applied emulsion to my other screens and let them dry.

Yoga. My right hip and foot have been paining me. I rocked at yoga but in one seated forward bending pose, my leg suffered immense twinges and tweaks and general agony.

After yoga, I exposed my screens and washed them out. They look great. Hurray! Can't wait to start printing. It will be generally a small edition, for the purpose of the assignment. With time I can make more.

Went home and read Barry Sander's very depressing essay about how The Daily Show makes us passive to the horror that is the news. And all that.

Mad Men had the Kennedy assassination episode. It was intense.

No comments: